MIL Decisions V.2

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Rodthrower18, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Rodthrower18

Rodthrower18 New Member

Ok folks this is a serious question for me so PLZ keep it as such I dont have the time nor energy to fuck with bullshit. As some of you remember I am in college trying to go Officer. The problem with this plan is school is expensive, and life always throws stuff in the way. I took out a sizeable loan to help pay for school and everything looked like it would be ok...WRONG!!!! Several recent problems in the family(dont want to get into it so plz take it at face value) have ended up whitling this away to just enough to cover my next semester. So im faced with a major decision now. Do I incur even more debt and trudge through the next 2yrs of school or enlist and slowly finish my degree over my first enlistment(all the while paying $200/month bc im no longer in school technically)? My ultimate goal is to become an Officer of Marines this IS what I want to do with my life, there is no changing that, so this is all just part of that end result. My recruiter friend told me that I could always go MECEP in a few yrs, and my chances are pretty good for getting accepted. I can still do OCC once/if I get my degree over time, and there is still PLC if I stay in school. The job market out here is next to nothing(hence my other post for my uncle) so for someone with no real job experience it's even worse. This is a very serious matter for me so plz no BS. Thx to everyone in advance for offereing opinions.

edit: Forgot to add that applying for grants = a no go bc certain nameless members of my family wont give me their tax information to fil out the FAFSA, and wont fill it out themselves(as if I care about their "business" I jsut want to try and get some fucking money for school). Scholarships are few and far between without having to be some kind of freak genius, so I can get a book scholarship or two but not enough for the toall costs :(

Last edited: Jan 3, 2006
  2. Rodthrower18

Rodthrower18 New Member

I honestly want to be a Marine, but Im not gonna lie and say the signing bonuses arent attractive, but I dont want to just use them and jump ship as soon as my enlistment is up. One thing i've been thinking about is trying to declare independent but I heard there is some weird time limit or something that would fuck me over on that one as well, im trying to find EVERY option I have right now that will move me towards my dream, I just hope its enough.

3. SweetDaddyO

SweetDaddyO we need a montage!!

what kind of debt are you looking at? i was about 15K in the hole after college - did AFROTC and have been in 2.5 years so far. totally worth it. my loans aren't hard to pay back with my salary (about $200/month, i pay more than that usually), and i'm very glad i went the route that i did.

stay in school if at all possible. if you have to incur debt to do so, then do it. i feel very strongly about that point.

4. scottiemac

scottiemac It's time to shoot some hot dogs!

I'd say stay in school and finish. If you go enlisted or some other route, you may get sidetracked along the way.

5. Rodthrower18

Rodthrower18 New Member

Im 15k in right now, which would get even larger for me to finish the next 2yrs, id honestly be looking at at least $22k total thats if NOTHING happens and money doesnt have to get diverted for family emergencies again :wtcd:

6. SweetDaddyO

SweetDaddyO we need a montage!!

22 isn't bad at all. i know plenty of people with much more debt than that who are paying it down no problem.

you'll be making plenty of money as an officer to pay that off. stay in school!

7. Rodthrower18

Rodthrower18 New Member

I sure hope so bc I finally did the math and figured out that I need a lot more than I thought I did, which is getting sickening to look at the tally for the ammount of money a B.S. is going to cose me a t a fucking COMMUTER SCHOOL, downright blood curdling, it is, especially since the state legislature is letting the schools rape us with 5-6% increases each school yr, by the time im out a 4yr degree from this branch school is going to cost me nearly $45k fucking incredible.

8. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

Go into the Reserves or Guard and stay in school.

9. Rodthrower18

Rodthrower18 New Member

So I take it staying in school is the best idea, now for me to get the $$ issue down, I need to plan on taking at least a semester off+ summer , for Bootcamp SOI/MCT and MOS school, even as a reservist I have to get this stuff out of the way.

10. Ranger-AO

Ranger-AO I'm here for the Taliban party. Moderator

enjoy! :wavey:

11. Rodthrower18

Rodthrower18 New Member

:hugot: damned smilies

12. emma_100

emma_100 :hay:

I dont have any answers for you, dont have any solutions. I am sorry for that. But i do know that life has a way of working its self put, especially when you are this driven to make it work. Wont be easy, but you will get it done, that i do not doubt. :hug:

And if it all dont work out in the end, marry rich? :dunno:

13. Accord

Accord New Member

There is a poolee at my RS who signed up for the reserves and he's going to boot camp this summer and then he doesn't go to MCT until the NEXT summer, he still has to go to drills and everything in the mean time though. Ask your recruiter friend about this.

14. Rodthrower18

Rodthrower18 New Member

The incremental training program is what its called if im not mistaken, those guys get dicked around alot bc for all intents and purposes you are useless, you dont know shit about shit, at least with everything else you'd know something about shit and not be a complete waste of space(i've been warned to NOT be this guy) besides a Semester can be made up with winter term and may term classes, or real close to it, im taking 6hrs right now in what was an effort to graduate early, which will now be changed in focus to still graduate in 08.

15. Rodthrower18

Rodthrower18 New Member

Thx for the encouragement, hope ur right :(

Last edited: Jan 3, 2006
  16. emma_100

emma_100 :hay:

Come on, why doubt it. You know im always right :o

17. Zourn

Zourn 16-bit Ninja OT Supporter

There was something some of the guys here around me did called the CASH program, I don't know much about it, I just know that they were getting payed while still in college before going to boot camp or anything, and that time whilst in the program counted towards their TIS. Also, this is Navy, but you still might ask your Marine recruiter about it as an option.

18. Rodthrower18

Rodthrower18 New Member

Well everyone here's the update, Im going back to community college this semester and taking as many classes as I can that will transfer to a degree program at my University, getting a job to stash money to try and finish the 4yr degree out at the University and most likely taking the reserves option I also talked about. Once I get back to the University, for all of this work im going to follow my dream, at the suggestion of another board member and a young Lt. friend who is at flight school right now and im going for a flight contract, even if they dont accept me for flight or i dont pass the flight physical I still have the option of going ground and be an Officer of Marines, ive got a shitton of lemons so its time to make some fucking lemonade!!!! Any ideas suggestions, offers to write me some nice LOR's ? :x:

edit:forgot to add thx everyone for the advice and help thus far I really appreciate it.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2006
  19. Insdav3

Insdav3 Guest

Finish school. I have made my choice to finish up also. I have been in college since 2001, and have only achieved my associate degree in general studies. It's crunch time for me if I don't rotate to Iraq, so I will probably have 2 years left. I'm going to start pulling out some student loans and put my nose to the grind stone. To be honest with you, joining the reserves has hindered my college career and pushed it back a little bit.

20. Accord

Accord New Member

Get your bachelors in 6 months from a regionally accredited institution: http://www.123collegedegree.com/bsintro.html

:eek:

It won't be a BS in mechanical engineering or anything, it'll be a liberal arts or general studies type degree.... but it's a 4 year bachelors degree none the less.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2006
  21. Rodthrower18

Rodthrower18 New Member

Damn, guess I'll be seein u at flight school man, 2 more fuckin yrs of school... fuck, O well 2 yrs of school for at least 10 of havin a great career, hopefully 20.

22. Rodthrower18

Rodthrower18 New Member

Dude school is expensive, the costs associated with school are expensive no matter how minimized they may be. If you're going after a 4yr degree expect to rack up some debt unless ur rolling GI bill or some other form of financial aid that will cover you for about $10k/yr ( and that is pretty much if ur not going to live on campus, if u r then tack on at least another $5kto that price for dorm and meal plan, which at some dorms u HAVE to buy and the cheapest ones are a grand). It adds up real damn quick, a LOT more than you'd expect it to be or have been told it will be, shit ALWAYS comes up that you dont expect or plan for.

23. Gaunt

Gaunt blood for the blood god OT Supporter

most schools in florida have a program with a community college. you do 2 years at the CC get your AA and the university will accept you to finish up. a bunch of people i know are doing that.
    Does the school you are going to have a NROTC?

24. Rodthrower18

Rodthrower18 New Member

No NROTC, in my part of Tx, there are lots of em further S, closer to bodies of water. Yup they LOVE for you to let it stretch out over time, compund interest is a fucking bitch, and dont even get me started on continuously compounded interest :rl:

25. Towely

Towely New Member

well my neighbor was 50k+ in debt when he graduated. He joined the army and they paid alot of it..