Deciding on a laptop

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by redeemer988, Mar 15, 2005.

1. redeemer988

redeemer988 New Member

Well I've been looking into purchasing a laptop lately. I talked to a friend of mine who told me he could get me Sony VAIOs for a good price. I looked at what he had to offer and the Sony VAIO A195EP caught my eye (http://www.technoworld.com/laptops/SONY_Vaio_A195EP.html). So I'm trying to decide if this is worth buying. Basically I want to know if any of you guys have had experience with this particular laptop or know anyone that has. And oh ya, he tells me he's buying these things through Europe. The only thing is what about the warranty? Don't you need a receipt in order to redeem the warranty through Sony?

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

sounds kinda like your friend is getting scammed through the old IRC-style Western Union schemes. I wouldn't give him the money without seeing the laptop, first.

on a side note, Sony machines are usually pretty crappy... And if he says he can get it for $500 then it's definitely a scam. Old scam, too!

3. redeemer988

redeemer988 New Member

Jollyogre, when I read that post I was so hoping you were wrong. And apparantly you aren't lol. I just asked him now how he's paying and he says Western Union. Damn, I knew it sounded to good to be true. I always thought I was super internet savy, I can't believe I didn't notice this before. Oh well, mods, can we get a delete thread here?
    Btw jollyogre, thanks for the reality check

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

lol, no prob. The WU scams were big about 5 years ago when everyone was hopping on IRC. They've died down a bit, but they're still there... Gotta keep your eyes peeled for em ;)