MIL Deciding on a career

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by familyguy101, May 28, 2006.

1. familyguy101

familyguy101 New Member

I'm a fresh High School graduate. 18 years old and I've got no other career in mind except for a jet fighter pilot. I've done research, lots of it, and it seems like the navy is the way to go if I actually wanna fly and be given missions. Plus the tuition reimbursement is always good. I've got serious doubts about the military though and I was hoping some guys in here could give advice.

Can I trust recruiters?
    What branch should I go into if I want to fly?
    What string are attached to joining the service that I probably wont know about until it's too late?

My parents aren't for the military, but it's my life and i'm gonna join if I feel it's right. I'm willing to work hard to achieve my goal, and i'm not doing it for the money. It's mostly because I want to live a satifying life so I feel like I just gotta take a chance and see what happens/where I end up.

Thanks
    -Chris

2. familyguy101

familyguy101 New Member

Can't believe I forgot to mention this. I know I'll have to go ROTC. The navy website doesn't give all the info I want.

How long does ROTC last before I'm an officer?
    Do I get pilot training during ROTC or will I have to do that after?

3. ManinCamo

ManinCamo I wear big boy pants.

ROTC while you're a college student. 4 years. There are 2 and 3 year programs, but most do 4 - and you have to get your bachelors degree

Pilot training is very competitive. It is done after you commission.

4. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

You have to put in four years of college (and get your bachelors) plus complete pilot training. If you have any physical short comings: vision, irregular heartbeat, asthma, or third eye, you will not be a pilot.
    as far as you can throw them. Talk to an officer recruiter not an enlisted recruiter.

Navy, AF, Army, Marines, Coast Guard. In that order. If you just want to fly, any program will work, just compare benefits.

You put up with the same BS, it's just you can't quit, you also cannot be fired unless you break the law. Also when you are a pilot, you cannot just take any medication you want. You are on a heightened level of medical risk for any drug taken.

The money is great. People say the military does not make good money, and they are right, if they are looking at taxable wages. Military members, especially pilots and other special jobs, make so much more in nontaxable income. For example, I make roughly $3300 a month, and only pay taxes on $1750 of it. I also do not have flight pay, or any incentive type pays. Some are taxable and some are not.

Your odds of becoming a pilot are slim.

5. familyguy101

familyguy101 New Member

are you saying this because of the rough competition or do you not think I'm capable?

6. Jyokker

Jyokker The trouser snake is very aggressive. It will corn

I don't know you. But odds are against it. Don't let me get you down, just don't think it is a walk in the park.

Pursue it until you either get it or can no longer progress towards the goal.

7. kidhero

kidhero not really a hero, really just a big fat phony

your research sucked

8. familyguy101

familyguy101 New Member

I'll give it my all.