Deciding between two surround systems for DVDs and Gaming. Help?!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by DJLanglois, Jul 20, 2006.

1. DJLanglois

DJLanglois Who needs an avatar?

Thanks in advance for your time, and kind assistance.

I am currently deciding between two 5.1 systems for my home. Be warned, I know very little about these things (that is why I am asking for your help ;)).

I have a modest HDTV (a high-quality 26" LCD panel), and a pretty modest living room. But, I love video games and DVDs (especially TV shows on DVD), and I am looking for a decent sound system to complete my setup.

I am deciding between the Spherex 5.1 Xbox system (CLICK LINK), and the Yamaha 660 Watts Home Theatre System (YHT170S) (CLICK LINK).

Which one is better (particularly in terms of overall sound quality, and build quality)?

--

Here is my story:

I managed to get a nice deal, and pick-up the usually-more-expensive Spherex system for $350CDN (including tax, and a 3 year warranty). I have about 28 days remaining to return this thing for 100% money back.

Once I returned home, and setup the system, I was pleasantly surprised. I've never owned a surround sound system before, so I thought it was great (for Xbox 360, and DVDs). And, similarly, I noticed that the package had received some great reviews online.

But, after venturing onto some Forums, a bunch of people strongly suggested that I take back the Spherex system and get a HTiB set. I was told that the Spherex system, because it uses proprietary speaker plugs, is not expandable, and as such, that I should avoid it.

So, I am considering some other setups in my price range ($350CDN, max).

Some users recommended the Yamaha setup. They said that, because it has a 5-way binding post, it is far more expandable. And, they are telling me that the Yamaha will sound "on par or better". I can get the Yamaha HTiB set for $380CDN (including tax and warranty). I cannot go above this price. I am interested in the system, but I am worried about, for example, the fact that the subwoofer is passive.

Expandability is not particularly important to me (I don't see myself upgrading single components in the future), but if I can get an upgradeable system with sound quality that is *just as good* for the same price, then I might as well.

So, I am left with the question:

Should I stick with the deal that I got on the Spherex system, or should I go for the Yamaha HTiB set instead?

Please remember, because expandability is only partially important to me, I am mostly interested in pure sound quality and build quality.

Thanks!

2. DJLanglois

DJLanglois Who needs an avatar?

Anyone?

3. Ronin

Ronin Guest

if it was me id get the yamaha

have you looked at onkyo home theater in a box's as well?

you should be safe going with a onkyo or yamaha, these companies probably make some of the better if not best HTIBS

i find even if u start off small and dont plan to expand, it only takes 1 or 2 set ups before it starts becoming more interesting and upgrades are starting to sound good to you so keep that notion in mind as well :)