Decided to upgrade the system...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Hops, Jun 1, 2006.

1. Hops

Hops OT Supporter

So I have decided to upgrade my system...well pretty much replace everything but the case :)...Though it's been awhile since I did this, and haven't really been following whats good/no-good...what's out there in the world of cpu/motherboard (combo deals are good too), vid card, RAM (not still using PC3200 are we?), etc...Basically what should I be looking for? what's the best for the money, etc? Budget is kind of up in the air so just looking for suggestions at the moment. I mainly use mu computer for gaming.

Currently running
    Athlon 64 3000+
    Gigybyte K8N Pro Mobo
    1.5 gig PC3200
    blah blah

Last edited: Jun 1, 2006
  2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

Intel has moved to DDR2.

AMD is still stuck on DDR, at the moment.

3. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

Dont forget AM2. THat is designed specificly for DDR2.

Though, at the moment, there are not really to many benefits to AM2, aside from some of the "1337" features offered by the new nForce chipsets for Socket 940.

Though, from all the performance numbers ive seen, the increase in performance from DDR1 to DDR2 clock for clock, is less then 4% on average. And in some instances, the performance of the DDR1 is actually higher then that od the DDR2 AM2's.

As for what 95Z needs...really kinda depends on how hardcore you are.
    You could get a low end X2, and a 7600GT, and be perfectly content for a few hundred bucks.

Or you could roll up to an FX, and pair of 7900GTX's for a couple of grand.

Just depends on what your gaming habits are,a nd how much of a penis extension you need to match your fellow gamers.

4. Hops

Hops OT Supporter

Well, maybe I should be a little more specific I can spend around $400 on a motherboard/cpu +/- a few bucks, and about $300 +/- on a vid card.

Also, i'm looking at cpu/mobo combo's...what does am2 and 90mn rev e cpu mean on the athlons? Been awhile since i've built a system.

Are the dual cores worth it? or would I be better off getting an athlon 64 4000 over a similar priced dual core?

Is PC3200 still pretty standard? or do I need to upgrade there as well?

Last edited: Jun 2, 2006
  5. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

Well, everyones oppinion is different. Obviously.

So ill answer your questions, and give my oppinion.

The new AM2 athlon CPU's have a new memory controler on then. One that is designed specificly to handle DDR2 memory.
    I honestly cant remember what the 90nm Rev-E's are all about. I think its jsut a die shrink on the A64's, after the move to dual core.

The DualCore being worth it, is purely a matter of oppinion. ALot of games still dont fully impliment SMP in them. However, more and more apps are supporting multi threading. And getting benefits from the dual core setup. Is it really worth it...right now, i say no. But it will certaintly help with future proofing. In real world tests where SMP isnt utilized, which is well over 80% of the apps ou will regularly run, there really isnt much beneift in it. However, it is cool being able to bump other process's over to another core to free up cycles on the other CPU.

PC3200/DDR400 is till bsicly standard. But DDR2 is starting to take over, and will likely be the future of RAM in desltops for the years to come. So if you want to future proof, that would be the route to take.

Certaintly you could just shoot for a higher speed A64, maybe even an X2, get an SLi compatible mobo, put a 7900GT in it, and have the option to add a seconed one later if you need more speed. Then slap in as much RAM as you can on it, and call it good. Becuase right now the AM2's arent offering that much aditional performance over the standard A64's.

There are some benefits to the nForce 5 architexture, like the built in overclocking options, and little tweaking options. But again, unless your interested in future proofing, i dont see much point in it. Becuase performance wise, its still preaty much the same, or withen 5% of the non AM2 nF4 setup.

Sorry if that wasnt terribly coherent. But i hope it at least makes some sence. :lol: