GUN Decently cheap/fun pistol to target shoot with?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by infinitex, Aug 6, 2004.

1. infinitex

infinitex Guest

Any suggestions, I'm looking to get started in a new hobby. :wavey:

2. Mikel

Mikel .

Springfield XD 9mm :hs:

3. TwoGuns

TwoGuns Medical Crew

Sig Trailside, Ruger MkII, Taurus Raging Hornet, Browning Buckmark

4. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Active Member

Ruger 22/45 or MkII

5. DRM600

DRM600 Guest

another recommdation for a ruger mkII. they're really fun to shoot and pretty accurate. being a .22lr, it's cheap as hell to shoot.

here's mine:

[​IMG]

the one i have, sans scope, is at the upper end of the line-up at about $500. they come in various barrel lengths, types and finishes. i think they start at about $250.

6. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

Mark II

7. blkgs4

blkgs4 New Member

Hi Point in 9mm w/ laser

8. SS109

SS109 3100 FPS OT Supporter

Start with a .22. Ammo is cheap and you won't develop a flinch.
    I prefer the Buckmark because it is easier to clean than the Ruger, but both are good guns.

9. Y2kAccord

laser = :greddy:

Not good to start out on because you will become dependent on it. You need to learn how to shoot using the sights

10. ryanbum

ryanbum Its the one that says Bad Mother Fucker on it

Crossman or daisy

11. blkgs4

blkgs4 New Member

nah man, lasers=teh win
    who needs actual iron sights when lasers are available. Especially when you've got such a high quality gat as a Hi Point. I traded in my HK USP Tactical for a Hi point, and I wouldn't dream of trading back.

12. blkgs4

blkgs4 New Member

:bigthumb:
    I sense some sarcasm

13. Y2kAccord

When you are beginning to shoot and you start with a laser, you grow dependent on it and you dont know how to shoot without it. Ok it comes time to use your laser, someone breaks into your house, you bump your gun on the corner and knock your laser sight off... BAM you cant aim worth shit without it. Plus with a laser you cant be discrete with a red beam going around.
    In the real world they are really only good for intimidation, but as I said in a dark house, you have a laser on, you just gave us your element of suprise. It should not be used as a crutch or substition for acutally learning how to shoot or properly aim or use a gun. I am not knocking lasers or their accuracy, but for a new shooter, they are not a good training tool and shouldnt be used till you are proficient without them.

14. blkgs4

blkgs4 New Member

Ok I want to apologize because you took me seriously about the laser, I never picked up a laser til about after a year of shooting. The only reason I bothered with picking up a laser was because of my girlfriend. She didn't like going shooting but she agreed with the idea of having a gun in the house for her to use. She wasn't proficient with iron sights, because of lack of practice. However having a laser on my bedside gun was a good idea for her (I have nights sights on that gun for myself). I actually tried using the laser a couple of times and all I did was anticipate the trigger pull each time. However I would like to start point shooting and I've heard that a good way to begin training for that is using a laser. I'll let you know on that in the next couple of months.
    Nimesh

BTW a good way to get your SO into shooting is by using sound suppressors especially with larger calibers.

15. Y2kAccord

I think that is a bad idea, because its a crutch and creates a dependency, its like saying why would you learn to ride a bike when you can have training wheels forever

Last edited: Aug 6, 2004
  16. blkgs4

blkgs4 New Member

Well would you like to show me a better way to learn how to point shoot?

BTW how well do you point shoot?

17. Y2kAccord

You practice and learn how to use and aim your weapon. an Iron sight it not rocket science you line up 3 dots and pull the trigger. That is how you learn, practice, practice, practice. I still stand behind that learning with a laser is just going to cause problems down the road because the shooter will 1) Not know the basics on how to point and shoot their gun 2) become dependent on needing the laser and be really inaccurate without it.

that is the way I do it and I personally shoot about average, and I never used a laser, I can hit the paper. I rented the XD-40 before I bought and hit the X on the bullseye at 25yds and was mostly hitting the paper at that distance.

I think when you are starting out you need to get a basic gun, learn the parts and how to take it apart, read up on gun safety and go to the range and just see how it fires, get used to it going off, how to manage the recoil and how it feels and acts. Again.. practice practice practice with the stock sights.

I personally think lasers arent much use in the real word except to intimidate

18. blkgs4

blkgs4 New Member

Sorry man I'm not a gun newbie, I started shooting a couple of years ago. I shoot 1911 and Polymer guns. I can do consistent 5 inch groups with a stock 1911 of almost any brand at 25 yards. I can do that with the G23 I carry also.
    I prefer Ashley Big Dots myself instead of the traditional 3 dot sighting system, mainly because of time of acquiring target is considerably quicker with them.
    I think you're learning how to shoot, and yes I suggest all beginners to learn how to use iron sights, be that on a handgun or rifle. I'm definately one of those people who believes on not relying on electonics or optics in general.

I don't think you understand what point shooting is about. Point shooting is not using sights at all. Its about keeping the gun at hip height and firing with a certain amount of precision from there. I've seen guys shooting 5-8 inch groups at 25 yards with that technique, and thats what I aspire to.
    Nimesh

19. Y2kAccord

NOT familiar with the term "point shooting" I thought you meant target shooting, just aim with sights and shoot.

20. blkgs4

blkgs4 New Member

I apologize I probably should have explained myself earlier. But I completely back you up on not using lasers, it truely becomes a crutch for some people. However for women who don't enjoy shooting I could careless if it becomes a crutch, because at least they'll know/be able to use a gun. I put a streamlight M6 with remote pressure switch on for my now ex-girlfriend.
    Nimesh

21. KiddX

KiddX Tigth as Piston In Ferrari Engine!

your fighting just like mommy and daddy!!! :wtc:

as for a cheep fun pistol, what about a little .22 revolver?

22. RealFastV6

RealFastV6 OMFGh4x0rzZ!!111

"Frickin lazer beam"

23. Y2kAccord

Get the XD-40 and just get a 9mm barrel with it

24. ShackleMeNot

ShackleMeNot MINDSET

Your concept of point shooting is not correct. Point shooting can be done from any position (not just from the hip). Most modern methods teach an eye level, strict target focused technique for an extended firing position and a body index for firing from retention.

I'm sure there is a small handful of people in the world who can shoot a 6 inch group at 25 yards from the hip but that is certainly not the norm and the time it would take to be able to perform that feat would be better spent learning to use iron sights.

25. blkgs4

blkgs4 New Member

I guess for modern interpretation of point shooting you are correct, however I'm talking strictly talking about shooting at the hip and slightly upward of that position.
    I believe what you're talking about are the techniques taught to PD's and old school marines and so on, where a focus on Target is more important than lining the sights up. That is not what I'm talking about.
    I'm talking about "Cowboy style" point shooting, where a revolver is drawn and fired as soon as the revolver is rotated at a proper degree aiming down range. I'm not looking for the speed (yet) but I've seen it done, if there is a better word for it than point shooting please inform me. And there are quite a few select people around who can but do some pretty amazing groupings, you should definately show up at some of these cowboy meets. Its kinda strange at first (espcially cause I'm usually the only Indian guy over there) but there are some nice people who show up.

Also I don't know how to state this any clearer, I am efficient with iron sights. This is simply a particular technique I would like to learn.
    Nimesh

edit: If you're interested in point shooting check www.pointshooting.com