Decent Receiver for under $150

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Slimmy, Feb 12, 2002.

1. Slimmy

Slimmy Get Richt or Die Trying

I'm starting to think about my room in my house next year, and I want a good surround setup in there and I've already got the 4 surround speakers, just need a center channel and a good receiver, though I will probably upgrade my front speakers to some nice Sony towers that I found. So my question is, does anyone know a good reciever I should look for, new or used, with decent power and features that isn't more than $150. I am looking on EBay but really don't know what models or brands to look for. Anyone care to give me suggestions? :)

2. Are you planning on running a home theatre? Or do you like surround audio for listening to music?

For $150 you'll most likely get a low end AC3 reciever (Sony, Technics, JVC, Kenwood). You might be able to find one with DTS; if you look around. At this price level all reciever's are about the same and you won't notice a big difference in SQ. But some lines have strange quirks. Like Technic's tend to run hot and JVC's produce a hum.

If your looking into a reciever for strictly audio. Look no further than the new line of entry model Harmon/Kardon's (i can't remember the model designation off hand).

3. Slimmy

I guess I'm looking for mainly an audio receiver, that i'll be using to play mp3's and cd's. I will probably use it for home theatre quite often too though we will have a much nicer system set up in our living room next year so I may not use the surround much. Got a link to any place that sells those HK's? :)

4. Slimmy

I think is basically the setup I'm gonna shoot for. :)

My current 20" Phillips TV (no pic)

This receiver

[​IMG]

These front speakers

[​IMG]

Current Sony rear speakers (no pic)

This center channel

[​IMG]

And I haven't decided on a subwoofer yet, or if I'm even gonna get one. :)

5. Slimmy

Hmm, can't post pics in this forum? :confused: