Decent price for a college-provided Thinkpad?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by sylvius, Jun 10, 2005.

1. sylvius

sylvius My post count does not define me; my join date doe

Well, I was going to try to use my old laptop for my first year of med school, but recently found out that it doesn't meet the school's minimum requirements. The school has some program with IBM (or Lenovo, or whatever you want to call it) that gives all students T43s during the first week of class. Thinkpads for all students? KICKASS, right?! Wrong. We have to pay for them; they are one of the numerous "hidden" fees in the budget.

However, they do give you the option of bringing your own laptop if it meets the following requirements:
    Pentium M 1.70 GHz
    512 MB RAM
    40 GB HDD
    802.11 a/b/g
    XP Pro

The school says that the "Web price" for the T43 that is provided is $2,279, and that if we get it from the school, we get it for $1,367. It has the following specs:
    14.1" XGA
    Pentium M 750 (1.86 GHz)
    512 MB RAM
    40 GB HDD
    CD-RW/DVD-ROM
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 900 (a.k.a. shitty integrated video card)
    802.11 a/b/g
    Gigabit ethernet
    XP Pro, Office 2003 Pro, Visual Studio .NET Pro
    3 year warranty

I don't know where the hell they're getting that $2,279 "Web price" from, but a similarly configured T43 from the IBM/Lenovo website is only a couple of hundred dollars more.

So, my question is - should I settle for the bundle that they give me for ~$1,400 or use that money to get a laptop on my own that meets those requirements? If so, what do you all recommend? I know that Thinkpads are the holy grail of laptops, but are there others that are comparable but cheaper? Those Dell $750 off coupons look pretty nice right about now...

My old laptop was a Dell Inspiron, and, despite the hate that many people have for Dells, it hasn't been too shitty over the past 4 years. It still works great since I upgraded the RAM and video card on it a few years ago. The HDD failed once (surprise, surprise), but they had a new one to me within two days of calling them. Thanks in advance for any help. :wavey:

2. Missile Command Kid

Missile Command Kid New Member

Don't knock the Intel 900 - not as bad as the Radeon 7500 that came with my X31 last year. $1300 for that system is absolutely fantastic, especially since it comes with Office Pro and a 3 year warranty. I love my X31 and wouldn't trade it for any other brand. If you're going to be using it as your primary computer, you'll love the keyboard as compared to a mushy Dell. There's no way you could be getting a similar system (with IBM build quality) anywhere else - leap on this deal!

3. EXECUTiVE

EXECUTiVE New Member

:ugh: never post again

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

WOW, well, mck is a moron.

As for the system, the price is "meh" I figure that for that much money, you can get an asus notebook configured how you want it. Not a bad price, but not really a "deal" either.

5. Missile Command Kid

I take it you've never actually used a Thinkpad, then, otherwise you wouldn't compare an Asus to one.

EDIT: This model (http://www-131.ibm.com/webapp/wcs/s...yId=2585864&dualCurrId=1000073&catalogId=-840) is basically the same as the one that sylvius mentioned, which costs $1649. In other words, he's getting it for about $300 less. Now, how is this *not* a deal?

Last edited: Jun 11, 2005
  6. jag6984

jag6984 New Member

The question really is, mck, have you used an Asus notebook? Asus makes very quality products.

7. Missile Command Kid

Yes, I have, and they're simply not built as well as IBM. For example, I had a 350c that lasted for ten years before it finally died, and to be honest, I think it was the power adaptor and not the system itself. I don't know what IBM's quality is going to be like now that they've been bought out by Lenovo, but as I said, I've got an X31 I bought last year that's extremely solid and easy to use, and from what I've heard about the T-series, they're just as solid. Plus the price is $300 less than what it would cost from IBM, and it includes a legit copy of Office 2003. Unless the OP wants to get a notebook computer with inferior build quality, I just don't see how he/she can go wrong.

EDIT: Not to mention IBM's tech support is based out of the US, whereas Dell's in India; I'm not sure if Asus has any local tech support, so I can't say either way on that one.

8. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I have an immidate family member that works for IBM. He gets new IBM notebooks all the time (several a year) so, yes, I *HAVE* used them... Likewise, I've had to fix them.

Compared to Asus, IBM is nothing.

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

NO ONE mentioned dell. So just shut the fuck up. Asus has support in the U.S. Furthermore, if you manage to brake an asus notebook (I have never actually had one come back to me except when teh customer drops it, sits on it, or otherwise physically damages it) you take it to a LOCAL authorized asus retailer... No crappy phone-support and shipping neccessary.

10. Missile Command Kid

I guess reading isn't your strong suit. Welcome to my ignore list.

11. samm

samm Next in Line

I work for IBM. I will check the price of that laptop on our employee purchase plan website on Monday.