decent php portal that works with phpbb

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by MP, Aug 1, 2003.

1. MP

MP New Member

Any suggestions? Right now i'm trying to figure out phpnuke but I keep messing up (it's hard if you don't know how to do it already). Anybody willing to help me out getting this thing to work or have any suggestions on a different php based portal?

2. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

I've been meaning to give PHPNuke a whirl. I've got PostNuke running PHPbb v2 here and here. A friend of mine runs PHPNuke+PHPbb off my server here.

For PostNuke, it wasn't too bad to install (just have to read the directions and follow them word for word). Not sure how painful it is for PHPNuke, but I'd take a guess it isn't too rough. Where are you getting stuck at?

3. MP

MP New Member

damn I really like how phpnuke looks on that last link. The others looks good also. I'll give post nuke a try and see if it's any easyer for me.

well I thought I had everything correct when I put in the fields for the "config.php" file but whatever i'm putting in isn't right.

There's a section where you have to put in the database username and password and some other stuff. I know the username, and password of MINE but i'm not sure if it's wanting to create a new database or what? Or if I have to have root access on the server, or if i'm just editing the fields wrong.

4. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

Sounds like you need to make sure the database exists and you can connect to it. PHPNuke/PostNuke will create the tables, but if the database doesn't exist, you may have problems (much like what you're experiencing). Verify you have a database, otherwise you may need to contact your provider and make sure they've actually given you access to a database (you shouldn't need root access to do all of this).

5. MP

MP New Member

yeah, i had to get one created for the phpbb board to work so I know I have one. I'm going to have a friend help me out tonight. I'll see what I can do and show you the end result :)

6. MP

MP New Member

I got nuke up astro. Justh ad to run a command for the mysql db. Didn't explain that in the instructions (well it did kinda but it didn't explain how to). As you said, your friend got phpbb integrated w/ phpnuke on his site...did he just install a pre-made hack or did he go through it manually and do it all himself? That's the next step i want to do.

thanks

7. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

I haven't done a PHPNuke install so I'm not familiar with how it wants its modules installed. For PostNuke, I it was a matter of uploading all the files and running the install script so it could create the database tables. Then there was a PostNuke file that was rewritten so when a user joined or made changes to their account, it was synced up with PHPbb (but this was just a matter of uploading 1 file in the proper spot).

Download PHPbb from their site and there should be instructions on how to make it work with PHPNuke. If not, let me know and I can talk to my friend on how he did it (I know my friend doesn't know that much PHP so I'm positive there's no coding involved to make this work).

Either tonight or tomorrow I have to install PHPbb again since I'm moving the one PostNuke site over to a new server... fun stuff.

8. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

whats a postnuke/phpnuke?

9. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

PHPNuke and PostNuke are both CMS apps (content management system). They're surprisingly flexible and are relatively easy to setup and manage. Typically, they work well as a community portal or web site. But could be used as a blog type site as well (although probably not as warm, fuzzy, or trendy as apps like MovableType or Blogger (I think thats the name) might be). PostNuke is an independant branch of PHPNuke (rumor is a number of PHPNuke coders wanted the app to go one way and the other group wanted to go another way and so they split). Word is PHPNuke tends to be updated more often then PostNuke.

Both apps allow you to plug in other apps such as a gallery and or a forum app and if the plugin apps behave, they will carry over your site's theme without having to touch any code.

You can see examples from the links I posted above.

10. MP

MP New Member

I did a search on phpbb and from what I saw the "coders" on there get really pissed when people ask that question. All they kept saying was we don't support phpnuke because we didn't make it, ask phpnuke for help. Kinda of an elitest attitude. If you could talk to your friend I'de really appreciate it.

thanks

11. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

A quick search on google led me here:

http://bbtonuke.sourceforge.net/

From reading the top message, it appears the latest and greatest version of PHPNuke might actually include PHPbb. Or at least there's a way to get PHPbb built in with PHPNuke. Its not clear whats needed or where do you go (they mention NukeCops - you might need to check them out).

My friends offline and probably won't be back online until Monday. I talk to him and find out how he did it. In the meantime, check and make sure you've got the lastest and greatest. If you do, then check out that bbotnuke site and some of the messages in there. It sounds like there's a script or two that you need to run or install. And yes, I can understand why the PHPbb folks are not excited about supporting something they haven't writen.

12. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

Actually...

Go to my friends site (http://www.thenateweb.com) and click on forums. Then scroll to the bottom. In red and off to the bottom right corner is Forums (c). Click on that. It will show the forum version and some module informtion. The author is from NukeCops. Check that out and then head over ot nukecops and see what they have...

13. MP

MP New Member

Code:
    Usage:

- Set the correct path to your perl binary modifying the first line of each script. 

- Insert the correct info about your db configuration into common.pl.

- Upload to your cgi-bin directory, make executable.

- Start running by calling:
      [url]http://www.your-site.com/cgi-bin/phpBBusers2nukeusers.pl[/url]

little help here?

14. babygodzilla

babygodzilla I love rice

wow, very useful indeed. thanks for the explanation. so is it hard to install, since there are questions flying? im guessing it requires considerable knowledge of UNIX?

15. MP

MP New Member

edit: knowing it helps

16. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

Well... If you can read and follow the install instructions, you should be fine.

Then it depends on how much customization you want to do. If you're adding pluggin apps (like PHPbb or Gallery) then you may have to do a little digging to figure out how to make it work with your installation (google will be your friend). Most times, the issues boil down to trying to figure out what directory things need to be in (or where things are at) and figuring out the permissions. Just follow the install directions and they should tell you what permissions are needed for which files...

And it might be a great motivator to learn a couple new *nix commands...

17. MadMike

MadMike YARR OT Supporter

the problem with phpnuke and postnuke is that its obvious what you built your site with.

I use MovableType outputting to PHP for my blog and Gallery for my albums.

18. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

I can rant on about MovableType since I was just researching it as a possible portal solution last week but I don't want to go too far off topic. I will say this: It appears to be a great blogging solution. I question its other capabilities, its Perl platform, and its $150 commercial license price. What I don't know about MovableType is how much of a community of core developers are there versus the core developers for PHPNuke/PostNuke (MovableType appears to have 2 core developers and everyone else create "mods"). Ok, so I'm not sold on it. But I'm willing to listen...

19. thenate04

thenate04 Guest

hehehe http referals- thats how i found this site

anyways thenateweb.com is my site
    i used an installer that i found on nukecops that set up the database and the phpbb it was called nukesql and you can pick the correct version for your site here- http://www.nukecops.com/downloads-cat-12.html

btw thanks for the compliments, and alot of the slickness is from the theme/layout of phpnuke, and i also did some modifications to it (added a better statistics page, removed security code, removed email verification, added a shout block..etc)

-nate

20. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

Nate! Welcome to OT/CP!

The web host you're using rocks! :cool:

I'm glad you jumped in. PHPNuke has its own quirks just like PostNuke has its collection of quirks...