GUN Decent nightstand gun safe?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by DC, Dec 7, 2009.

1. DC

DC OT Supporter

I'm looking for a small safe to keep a handgun on my nightstand. When I'm home, I like to have access to it, but I don't want anybody to have access to it. I'd prefer one that's biometric, or that has a 4 finger combination lock type mechanism for easy access. Do you guys have any preferences?

2. P-chan

P-chan New Member

I have a DAC Sportsafe, it's a quick-access 4 button safe. I got it at WalMart - it's on clearance now for $45 but not available on the site for some reason.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=2221464

I like it, it's got a little light inside, key access, and an alarm (that you can turn off). After a certain number of attempts it locks up and you can't try any more. You can set the combo as little as 3 or as many as 6 button presses. I'm sure most 4 button safes have these features. I wouldn't get a GunVault, I saw a video on youtube of a guy getting into it in like 2 seconds.

3. Emfuser

Emfuser Nuclear Moderator Super Moderator

The 4-finger locks usually aren't biometric; they're just keys you press in a sequence. Biometrics involve something like fingerprints, thermal hand prints, retina scans, etc. You know... things unique to your body that actually could be used to identify you.

4. DC

DC OT Supporter

Ya, I was looking for 4 finger or biometric. I think I'd really trust a 4 finger more in a hurry.

5. JRucker2004

JRucker2004 New Member

Personally, I'd avoid those small safes with the 4 finger pad.
    Can't find it now, but I saw a video of a guy taking one of those, dropping it on it's side from about 6", and the door swinging open.

If you do get one, do some in depth research about how the locking mechanism works, and don't get one that is simply spring loaded and can be opened like that.

ETA: here's a different video, but same safe: [y]R8i3zVGQFKo[/y]

6. DC

DC OT Supporter

7. P-chan

P-chan New Member

You also have to figure who are you keeping the weapon from? If it's kids in the household, you almost certainly aren't going to need something super secure, anything with a lock on it is going to be fine. Young kids aren't going to try to bust into your gun safe (and they should know what's it it and what to do if they see it out, anyway). If it's older kids, do what my CHL instructor did:

He brought a 4-button safe home and told his kids (10 and 14) that he was testing the safe. He took out a $20 and put it in the safe, and locked it. He said if they could get it, the $20 was theirs, but they had to tell him how they did it.

:rofl: result of that test : The 10 year old said "ok" and a few minutes later, he came out with the $20. He said "how did you get it open?" The 10 year old said " I saw that it had a keyhole, so I went into your room and found the key to it in your desk drawer." :rofl:

He later gave the same challenge to the kids without the key and they couldn't get it after a couple days, so he figured it was ok. :)

8. LancerV

LancerV Something Happened OT Supporter

You might as well just get some cabinet and put a lock on it. And leave it by your bedside during the night