Decent headphones for bass?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by DJ Zeratul, Nov 5, 2003.

1. DJ Zeratul

DJ Zeratul New Member

can anyone recommend some decently sounding headphones that can reproduce bass without overdriving... they have to also be relatively inexpensive (>$70)
    i want to hear the bass loud and crisp, smooth. like having a mini-subwoofer next to my ear or something. none of the headphones I have ever bought have decent bass reproduction at all.

thanks

2. 04

04 Guest

Grado SR-60's

3. CyberLeader

CyberLeader Superior Cybernetic Race

You're probably going to need a headphone amp to get much decent bass out of any phones.
    but yeah, grado sr60 or Sennheiser HD497 would probably be a good choice.

4. 04

04 Guest

I get identical bass out of my Sennheiser HD-600's with my headphone amplifier as I do with my soundcard. The Grado's with an even lower nominal impedence should have absolutely no problems with bass without an outboard amplifier.

However, if his soundcard is pretty bad, a headphone amplifier might be a good idea, as I hooked my HD-600's up to my brother's soundcard and the output was severely limited.

5. CyberLeader

CyberLeader Superior Cybernetic Race

You must have a pretty fantastic soundcard.
    Compared to the headphone out on my home theater receiver (kenwood KRV990D), my HD600s sound considerably better off my headamp. its a huge, immediately noticeable difference. the bass is much deeper, cleaner and tighter (both off the same CD changer)

In my experience, i find that the bass is where a headphone amp makes the most noticeable difference, even with lower impedance phones.

6. curtis_rak

curtis_rak Guest

JVC actually makes a pair of ~$30 headphones that go to 8 Hz...best buy should have em

7. 04

04 Guest

That is a rather misleading statement. Just because the manufacturer rates its product to 8hz doesnt mean it goes that low.

My Sennheiser HD-600's are rated to 12hz, but they don't have any kind of meaningfull output at that level. And they cost about 8 times what the JVC's do too ;)