Decent Gyms in the DC/MD/VA area?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by chickenadobo, Aug 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chickenadobo

chickenadobo New Member

Sup bros. Gonna be moving to DC and am looking for a decent gym (aka reasonably priced with a good atmosphere). Anyone know of one? Thanks!

2. sophocles

sophocles New Member

honestly the best gym is the pentagon athletic club
    insane facilities and tons of former national level athletes who are paid to workout for atleast an hour a day
    I have never found a commercial gym I would reccomend
    what area you moving to?

3. Johnny Bravo335

Johnny Bravo335 New Member

I recommend either Lifetime clubs in Centerville or Ashburn. After that, Gold's is not that bad.

4. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington nunc fortunatus sum

DC MD VA is a little vague :o Got a town or neighborhood?

5. mitrong

mitrong so cute

when i went to lifetime centreville i could barely workout because of all the hotties in there :wtc:

6. FoolioABC

FoolioABC New Member

Depends on what kind of gym you're looking for. I've got a 2 week free trial at balance gym near dupont circle right now (balancegym.com) it's got bumper plates, kettle bells, and like 3-4 power racks (i think). people there are pretty serious, but seem generally friendly and helpful. the gym itself is pretty damn small and doesnt have ANY machines besides rowing machines. also has a pretty nice basketball court. $60 dollars a month with no commitment (you just pay month to month). they provide chalk, pretty much the "anti-commercial" gym, imo. my best description is that it's a "crossfit gym" even though that's not all people do there. people tend to focus on the movements crossfit uses though i think (lots of olympic lifting/compound movements). prepare yourself though cause the training room itself is very small, and somewhat dirty. probably the most "serious" gym i've ever been to.

the georgetown school gym (yates.georgetown.edu) is the one i go to regularly. not too sure on the pricing, my program pays for me, but the gym itself is pretty decent. no bumper plates, no kettlebells, but pretty much everything else and plenty of machines (if that's your thing, i never use them) 2 power racks, plenty of treadmills for cardio stuff. it can get somewhat packed during the school year, but not moreso than any other "mainstream" gym, which is the style it's in. also, it has indoor pools, tennis courts, basketball courts, indoor track, all which you have access to. all in all a pretty nice gym, i think it's reasonably priced, and if you live close to georgetown worth checking out.

golds gym in rockville (next to staples). this place was one of the best "commercial" gyms i've been to. my friend had a membership here and i used to go wtih him regularly to work out even though i had to pay $5 dollars to get in (had a membership at ballys at the time, see below). the facilities were really really new as of 2007, but i haven't been there since. it was, in the end, just another "commercial" gym with the same stuff you see at any other one, including both bally's and yates (georgetown). also, at the time there was a shitton of hot chicks wandering around all the time. just another perk.

last one i have experience with is: bally's in rockville in mid-pike plaza. all i have to say about this place is, don't go. they'll rip you off, say anything to sign the papers (long story). the place is completely over signed, always packed. equipment is poorly maintained, the ROOF LEAKS so whenever it rains THERE'S TRASHCANS AROUND TO CATCH WATER LEAKING THROUGH THE ROOF. the pool smells like shit, ergo the entire gym smells like shit. people here are fucking rude as hell (i've had some person taking their time on the equipment at peak hours tell me "no you may not work in", that's their perogative but jesus that's never happened to me). i can't discourage you enough to not go here.

hope this helps and good luck!

7. Memor

Memor Active Member

:werd:, lol

if you're up near Baltimore I can list a few but it sounds like you just need info on the DC stuff

8. chickenadobo

chickenadobo New Member

yeah thanks for the responses guys. will be working at an embassy so i guess the major metro dc area? not too familiar with the area as u can tell but am willing to drive a bit.

foolioABC, the Georgetown gym looks good. I didn't know you could get a membership if you weren't a student. hopefully it's reasonably priced. balancegym sounds pretty intense and for $60 that would definitely work for me.

thanks for the responses.

9. FoolioABC

FoolioABC New Member

hey man,

keep in mind that georgetown is completely inaccessible via metro. to get to georgetown you'll have to take a metro to dupont circle, then catch the georgetown shuttle (free shuttle, granted) to get to georgetown campus. this take ~15-20 minutes. the french and german embassies are pretty close to campus though, so if you work at one of those embassies, this may be the gym for you.

balance gym is located like 2 minutes off of embassy row (where pretty much all the other major embassies are located), however, and if you work at an embassy there's a good possibility you'll be walking distance to this gym or it'll at least be somewhat on the way of your commute. the embassies are also off of the dupont circle metro stop, but are walking distance (moreso than georgetown, at least).

10. Buzz Killington

You don't want to drive anywhere if you are in DC. You want a gym near you or near a metro station.

11. FoolioABC

FoolioABC New Member

This. Parking in DC is fucking brutal

12. chickenadobo

chickenadobo New Member

Balance gym sounds like the better choice then. But I also wouldn't mind driving to gtown. You said you workout there? What are monthly dues if I may ask?

And thanks for the heads up on the parking situation.

13. Buzz Killington

Yes, you would :o Georgetown parking is a disaster. Set aside any thoughts you have of relying on a car to get around DC on a day-to-day basis.

14. chickenadobo

chickenadobo New Member

:wtc:

15. FoolioABC

FoolioABC New Member

Like I said, georgetown runs a bus directly outside of the dupont metro station to campus and back. it is a 15-20 minute commute though, not including wait time for the bus. the gym website is yates.georgetown.edu, i took a quick glance around and didnt see the pricing, you might have to call them. like i said my program pays for my gym membership, so i go for free.

seriously though, don't even consider driving to georgetown.

16. Buzz Killington

What embassy you working at?

17. Memor

Memor Active Member

he's right dude...driving to gtown is a fuckin nightmare

18. chickenadobo

chickenadobo New Member

the korean one.

19. chickenadobo

chickenadobo New Member

werd