MIL Decent civilian jobs in the military?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by ZeeMox, Aug 22, 2006.

1. ZeeMox

ZeeMox Opinions are like assholes. Fuck em. OT Supporter

My ex has primary custody of my son - we've kept it out of the court as our relationship is good even though we're not together. She's in the Air Force, interested in taking a voluntary 2 year European tour if she can get the assignment in her contract with no hidden strings, the contract being one of those she would sign while transferring from the reserves to active duty. To clarify, she's not interested in switching to active duty without that specific assignment.

She's also not interested in going if her son's father can't accompany him - she wants me to be a father as much as I want to be one, for the kid's sake, and I've always wanted to go to Europe anyway, so I don't mind. The problem is that we're not married, nor were we when the child was born, so I would need a military ID to stay on base with them, which I would surely have to do (at least to get on my feet overseas).

My first thought was getting a job at my local AF base as a civilian. The only complication is that I don't know how to go about this, or if I could find a decent job. By decent, I mean, not shitty pay, and not janitorial work. If possible, I'm proficient and interested in technical and/or writing fields. Anybody know how realistic or doable this plan sounds?

2. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

good luck with that, not all but pretty much all of the jobs in the civilian sector that have any sort of flexibility as far as where you work are for people that have a decent background in a certain technical field...but it could happen

3. ZeeMox

What's a decent background? I have some experience, but no college degree :dunno:

4. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

college degree would be a plus, but mostly i was reffering to like, prior technical experience with military equipment and or just experience with the organizations in general

5. ZeeMox

I'm open to any other options that will get me a military ID in the event that she can get such a contract. Somehow, it seemed unlikely that being the father of a son with a mother in the military would do the trick :hs:

6. fintheman

fintheman I will ebay O/T!

[SIZE=+2]Military Spouse Preference Basics[/SIZE]
    Disclaimer
    Section 806 of Public Law 99-145, "Department of Defense (DoD) Authorization Act of 1986," directed DoD to increase employment opportunities for spouses of active duty Armed Forces personnel. The spouse preference program derived from this law applies to military spouses who relocate to accompany their sponsor on a permanent change of station (PCS) move to an active duty location. By giving these spouses priority in the employment selection process, Congress hoped to reduce the impact of frequent relocations on spouses’ careers.
    At DoD installations in the U.S., its territories and possessions, military spouses can exercise their statutory employment preference through the DoD Military Spouse Preference Program (Program S), an automated registration and referral system which operates as a subprogram of the Department of Defense Priority Placement Program (PPP). In foreign areas, eligible spouses receive preference under procedures administered by local DoD civilian personnel offices.

7. fintheman

Persons with Military Spouse Preference who are in the commuting area of the place of work.

8. fintheman

9. ZeeMox

But I'm not her spouse.

10. ZeeMox

11. fintheman

You want the honest truth?

This is why marriages don't work in the military due to situations like this, from both sides of the gender.

You best bet to be with the Son, give her great benefits, you get healthcare and a free-ride and BAH to Europe is to marry her.

Just go to the justice of the peace, and have a clean break away when you are done. Otherwise, your chances are VERY WEAK and its VERY hard to get a work visa anywhere there. You can work at a few places on the bases out there, but dude, honestly, it doesn't sound like it can happen unless you can live with her.

There may be a special exception for parents of children of a military parent. You MAY be able to still get an ID to just get on base, if it is to be with your child.

I would post this question somewhere over at military.com

The Air Force is usually in the best interest of the family.

12. ZeeMox

This is helpful. Presently, we're both single. If it remains that way, living with her may well be an option. Otherwise, I'll have to work something out.

It's not a tragedy, as she's not interested in the attempt if we can't figure out a way to get both parents out there. With this much advanced notice, I'm sure we can find some solution.

13. crucial_fiction

crucial_fiction Active Member

It would be extremely difficult to find

1.) a DOD civi job in her immediate area
    2.) to get out there and fill a position AND have the gov't move you, you'd HAVE to be hired in the states for that exact position
    3.) A lot of overseas positions in the DoD arena are contracts for 5 years, most Military positions are ~3 years (not counting extensions and the like)
    4.) Just being the father of the child is not enough for you to get ANY sort of benefit from the military UNLESS you're married to the service member AND command sponosored.

So suffice to say it's going to be damn near impossible as too many conditions HAVE to be met and the planets have to align and all that.

14. lulu_grl

lulu_grl hi2u!

On the DoD 5 year rule. Air Force sticks to it moreso than the other services. 5 years and you're shipped back to the states. Only thing is... usually there's so much competition to try and get an overseas position they're usually going to go to someone with career status (i.e. tenure at a DoD job).

As said before, easiest thing to do would be marry her, get on her orders and apply for a job while you're there (local hire).

15. TRN

TRN Well-Known Member

Most of them get paid pretty well.