A&P Debating several new cam's

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Valence, Feb 10, 2006.

1. Valence

Valence Gustav Refugee

I'm upgrading from a Panasonic FZ 10 to something new.

My choices

Nikon D 50 (good, entry DSLR, kinda expensive, requires multiple lens)

Panasonic FZ 30 (great new features, tested one in a Wolf Camera though I would buy online and save hundreds, manual zoom, seems ok)

Fuji FinePix S9000 Digital Camera (best - 9 mp, great reviews, won award in 05, no need for multiple lens, added cf card, microdrive, and seems the best choice.)

Hmm. I know there's a hardcore Nikon crew here, not many panasonic owners I don't think. I haven't heard from anyone who owns a Fuji.

2. NauticaX

NauticaX OT Supporter

I would easily pick the D50 over the rest.

3. sony

sony Active Member

Most of the people who post in this forum own dslrs. :hsughno: I'm pretty sure what I can guess what the manjority of your answers will be before people start replying. :hsugh:

4. NauticaX

NauticaX OT Supporter

Its either a DSLR or a small pocket sized P&S :) Best of both worlds. What else would you need.

5. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

Get what you want.

Of the three you posted I'd get the d50.

6. Valence

Valence Gustav Refugee

Not all the people who post on this forum can afford a dslr.

I like the ability to never swap the lens, less crap to carry around. However there is a trade off by getting stuck with the current lens and it's limitations. Which is what I'm currently experiencing.

7. SenenCito

SenenCito OT Supporter

Do you want to deal with changing lenses and buying a lot of gear? what are you going to shoot? how much do you want to spend?

8. NauticaX

NauticaX OT Supporter

Even with a D50 you don't HAVE to deal with changing lenses. Get a nice standard zoom lens which will cover the range as most P&S and you'll be set w/ advantages and very few disadvantages.

Money is probably the key factor here. And of course best if you go to a store and hand hold all 3 to see which seems most comfortable to you.

9. 00soul

00soul halfsharkalligatorhalfman

aside from the d50, you listed SLR-like cameras. this tells me you'd like to have control of your pictures, and if you like that control, the option to switch out lenses is be a good thing.

other SLR-like cams to consider
    Canon PowerShot Pro1

10. eof

eof New Member

For someone with your level of experience I would recommend not getting a DSLR. Too many buttons for you...

11. eof

eof New Member

If you do get an SLR jump past I would recommend getting a used D70 instead of the D50. They can be had pretty cheap... D70 kit lens would work well for general use so you wouldn't be changing lenses.

12. Keesh

Keesh New Member

I had the Fuji S7000 and it worked out great. I'd definitly go with the S9000 if you want to keep your money. Buying lenses/flashes/crap gets expensive. Plus if your just starting out you probably won't be able to take full advantage of a DSLR.

13. SenenCito

SenenCito OT Supporter

you make a GREAT point here, a d50 with the 18-200vr is just about all most people would need..I think that would be an awesome choice

14. eof

eof New Member

18-200 VR is too much money for what he is looking for I think....unlike us he does not have a supermodel girlfriend, does not not drive a Porshe and unfortunatly he does not have unlimited money.

15. SenenCito

SenenCito OT Supporter

hmm from what I read I thought the 18-200 was around 600, and recently Is saw the d50 in about 580 without a lens. that would bring it under 1200..I could be wrong but sounds reasonable. If not well a 18-70 is always a really good pretty cheap alternative

16. eof

eof New Member

Does this thead catch you off gaurd at all?...he made me red in the face a few nights ago while trying to explain that changing lenses is less important than he thinks then he comes back with this thread saying he doesn't want to change lenses.

:hs:

17. eof

eof New Member

In another thread I think he was looking at the D50 at around $750-800 in a kit of some sort and not wanting to go D70 because it was too much. He is on a tight budget I think..

18. SenenCito

SenenCito OT Supporter

Ahhh I understand now. Yeah that's about what he is going to waste, just checked the D50 and for the body only its 540 (with a free 1gb card so thats nice) and I see the lens averaging just under 300 in ebay.

With his budget id say the panasonic is starting to considerably better..DSLRs are a huge money sink.

19. Valence

Valence Gustav Refugee

Yet again you throw sarcastic insulting comments without any provocation. I pray you never get married as you seem the type who would beat their wife.

20. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

Yeah, it does.

Round two, fight!

21. Valence

Valence Gustav Refugee

It's a catch 22 for me. I like the ability to change lenses however, it can get expensive and/or be a pain to lug all the equipment around.

Each has it's advantages, and disadvantages.

Ideally, i've found that by leaving the Panasonic branded vslr's and going with a Fuji some of my current problems go away. Some remain. The underlying issue here is mostly my budget. Sure, the fuji sounds great, because of the real photo technology and superior image sensor. It does lack image stabilization - however I don't feel this to be a huge problem since the fuji compensates via the real photo technology and anti blur settings.

I could go with a D50 kit online w/ lens for roughly the same price as the s9000 and oversome some of the current issues I am experiencing. At this point I enter the D50 vs D70 vs D70s delimma. It's hard to really make a decision sight unseen. Ideally I'd use all of them side by side and make this decision but I don't think this is possible.

The problem lies in that they each have unique features.

S9000 has a swivel lcd and one lens, eliminating the need to purchase several lenses.

D50 and D70 and D70s have superior image quality via it's sensor and the inherent quality of the F mount lenses.

I'd like the ability to have a remote for long shutter speeds. Though using a timer would be a quick workaround.

The S9000 uses aa batteries, commonly available and easy and cheap to have multiple sets of rechargeable batteries available.

and despite your poor attempts to slander and attack me, you still lack the artistic knowledge in regards to photography in general. You read manuals and quote technical blurbs about this camera and that camera, yet it doesn't seem like you understand the artistic effect this technical jargon has on photo's. The complete lack of understanding that some people might WANT a shallow to midrange depth of field and leave other areas blurred seems to escape you.

22. Valence

Valence Gustav Refugee

They do require a significant investment.

No, the point was to upgrade to dslr that has the capability of changing lenses and therefore allowing more control over the quality of images and extent of DOF, or keep with a higher end vslr that adequetely overcomes these issue, and to where you cannot change the lens.

23. eof

eof New Member

DSLR's last forever on a single charge. I don't shoot a ton but it seems I rarely need to charge my battery. Although it goes from full to empty on the indicator very quick....which kinda sucks because it gives you no warning.

24. eof

eof New Member

Yup... that is why I enjoy posting in your threads it is like beating up my wife except the cops don't show up and I don't have to explain to the kids why mommy doesn't know her place.

25. mattsb2000

mattsb2000 OT Supporter

:bowrofl: