Debate what my Bio teacher said

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Ep, Mar 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ep

Ep Guest

So my professor who obviously has a phd said

eat 1g of protein per KG of body weight, even when working out. She said eating vegetables is what will truly help in muscle growth

-that soda leaches calcium from the bones (don't drink it anyway)

-milk leaches calcium from the bones and that no one should drink it.

Opinions? She's young so I don't think she's going on "old" knowledge

2. Man Bear Pig

Man Bear Pig Banned

Just because she has a PhD in biology (depends on what kind as well--physiology, genetics, molecular, biochemistry, ecology, neuro, systems, etc)doesn't mean she is qualified to give dietary recommendations. The later two I have heard before but do not the validity of.

3. Ep

Ep Guest

that's true. Kind of like how doctors can't give specific dietary information because they are either using old knowledge and or they get little dietary training. You'd think she would know a thing or two about the body however. I definitely need to start eating more than 1-2 servings of vegetables a day though

4. Man Bear Pig

Man Bear Pig Banned

If she had done thesis work for the past 6 years she would probably have little exposure to human physiology. At my school human or animal physiology is not required for a BS in biology.

5. bait

bait New Member

I've heard many places that more than 1g/lb protein is pretty much useless, at least naturally

6. bait

bait New Member

and everyone says veggies are super important... I don't know how much I buy milk leeching calcium from bones though

7. Ep

Ep Guest

I believe she said because of the phosphate? I forget, she's this hot blonde german woman so I was half just looking at her and nodding

8. Ep

Ep Guest

Tough to say, I think she's been at my school for 10 years now. She looks to be in her 30's so I would say it was longer than that. She also studied in germany though so maybe it's different there. They are certainly more serious about schooling

I'll tell you one thing, I've been eating 150-200g lately and even after taking 3-5 fiber pills a day my ass is on FIRE. I might have to cut down

9. Juan Valdez

Juan Valdez Finest Cofee in the world

That's just bad chemistry. Nitrogen is required for protein synthesis (people, animals, in the lab, plants) there isn't sufficient nitrogen in most vegetables to make enough protein for a human. You should eat your veggies but they aren't building muscle (some of the micronutrients in vegetables will help but w/o protein they aren't going to do a lot)

10. Ep

Ep Guest

I might have made that statement myself, I didn't quote her. I think her point was that enzymes will be helped by the nutrients in vegetables. I'm not a science person by any means though

11. grimstone

grimstone magic murda bag OT Supporter

if i was trying to grow i would eat 2xbw protein. and unless your teacher works out and is big and strong i would not listen to much of what they say in regards to working out.

12. RICK RO$$

RICK RO$$ Active Member

actually I believe Dr. Dre said it the best: bitches ain't shit but hoes and tricks

13. Ep

Ep Guest

I said that to her. I mentioned how dietary recommendations are not for people who exert their bodies constantly but she still insisted. I'm just gonna stick to eating my body weight. I have no interest in weighing 200 pounds. Btw, wasn't looking for an excuse to eat less protein or anything. Just when someone with a phd in biology tells you something you automatically feel like it's a fact (at least I do)

14. Uglybob69

Uglybob69 I miss beer.

Int J Sport Nutr. 1998 Dec;8(4):426-47.
    Effects of exercise on dietary protein requirements.
    Lemon PW.

Faculties of Health Sciences and Medicine, 3M Centre, The University of Western Ontario, London, ON, Canada N6A 3K7.

This paper reviews the factors (exercise intensity, carbohydrate availability, exercise type, energy balance, gender, exercise training, age, and timing of nutrient intake or subsequent exercise sessions) thought to influence protein need. Although there remains some debate, recent evidence suggests that dietary protein need increases with rigorous physical exercise. Those involved in strength training might need to consume as much as 1.6 to 1.7 g protein x kg(-1) x day(-1) (approximately twice the current RDA) while those undergoing endurance training might need about 1.2 to 1.6 g x kg(-1) x day(-1) (approximately 1.5 times the current RDA). Future longitudinal studies are needed to confirm these recommendations and asses whether these protein intakes can enhance exercise performance. Despite the frequently expressed concern about adverse effects of high protein intake, there is no evidence that protein intakes in the range suggested will have adverse effects in healthy individuals.

PMID: 9841962 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

15. RICK RO$$

RICK RO$$ Active Member

who cares? there's no point in trying to argue with her about it, just remember whatever bullshit is necessary for the class

as far as your protein intake goes, just stick with what works

16. Ep

Ep Guest

so this actually agrees with what she says

17. Uglybob69

Uglybob69 I miss beer.

Roughly double what she said. NSCA says up to 2g / kg. Nothing wrong with more unless you have a preexisting kidney problem

18. RICK RO$$

RICK RO$$ Active Member

nigga a kilo is 2.2lbs

19. Grimey

Grimey New Member

You should have raised your hand and promptly replied: "no 1.5g of protein per lbs of body weight, NO FUCKING CARE".... busted a back double bi, flip a desk, and ran out of the room.

20. Ep

Ep Guest

haha only I was talking to her privately after class. That wouldn't have been as epic

21. Neo22

Neo22 OT Supporter

go to lyle mcdonald's page hes done tons of research

22. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

23. Frank Dux

Frank Dux Guest

Never ever disagree with a professor. I learned dat the hard way.

24. Man Bear Pig

Man Bear Pig Banned

You can disagree without being confrontational.

25. DTR rex

DTR rex New Member

1g/kg of body weight: I think she was more-so referring to general public. Truth is, for a 200lb person, 1g protein/kg weight comes out to just over 90g protein per day. The average person would function just fine on that. Even someone doing your basic, average person, workout could still get by on that. It's low, no doubt, but it's not necessarily bad for you assuming that the 90g you did get were from complete sources.
    Which brings me to my second point. Vegetables are not (as far as I am aware) complete protein sources. Thus, they are not going to be optimal in muscle gain. They do have a high biological value per g, but at the end of the day I am thinking you're better off with more complete proteins like egg whites, whey, or certain meats.
    Also, take into account that some research supports that high protein diets will negatively affect kidney function in those who are susceptible to kidney problems. Naturally, this makes the general public think high protein diets will ruin your kidney, and doctors are not exempt from this "school of thought" despite the research that says otherwise.

What does this mean? Technically, she's right, it's fine. But taking into account all factors, you're not utilizing the entire potential that protein can have on your body ESPECIALLY if you lift. Many people prefer 1.5-2g/kg of body weight.

The soda thing I've heard many times. I have nothing to support/refute it with though.

The milk thing, I've never heard. However, her saying don't bother drinking it is quite right. A LOT of research shows that milk is completely unnecessary for a healthy diet and in many cases hurts it. The human body is not made to digest milk regularly and a much higher percentage of people than most are aware of have an underlying allergy or lactose intolerance. It also increases mucus production in most people (hence why you should stay aware from dairy while fighting a cold) and thus makes a better breading ground for bacteria in the body. It's especially bad for individuals with allergies or asthma.
    Lastly, it can make you look bloated.

That's all I have to offer on this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.