Dear Fitness & Nutrition, I want to gain weight!

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by zatotheck, May 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zatotheck

zatotheck New Member

Preface: I've read the thread in the Achieves about gaining weight. I've read several other articles on how to gain weight.

Okay guys. I'd really appreciate any help/advice offered here.
    I'm 20 years old, 6'0, 150lbs. I've been 150lbs for about 3 years. I've always been skinny. I've always eaten a ton of food and in fact I eat twice as much as my 5'8 180lb roommate. For a while I began eating tons of peanut butter on a daily basis, this didnt have any effect. As of this year I started eating more healthy. I stopped drinking sodas/energy drinks completely and I stopped eatting fast food. Now, I want to gain weight! Lets start with 15 pounds (to 165lbs) and then go from there. From what I've read it's all about calorie/protein consumption to my understanding. But then I sometimes read an article to the contrary. I'm seeking advice from guys who have been in my shoes.....

Where do I start?

2. Memor

Memor Active Member

You basically need to be taking more calories in than out, on a simple level. We're all going to be ultra skeptical of you saying you eat a ton of food and 2x as much as some dude we don't know, and that's because the majority of us when starting out trying to gain weight also thought we ate a ton. And we didn't eat shit.

Post up your current diet and routine so we can fully help ya.

3. zatotheck

zatotheck New Member

I don't have any sort of set diet or routine. Currently, I don't work out at all other than playing basketball and pickup football once a week.
    To give you an idea of my diet, here's what I ate today:
    At around 9am I ate 4 scrambled eggs and 4 biscuits.
    At around 1pm I ate 2 slices of pizza
    At around 3pm I ate 2 more slices of pizza
    At around 7pm I ate 2 and 1/2 fried boneless chicken breasts with 2 servings of pasta and spaghetti sauce.
    I will also eat a sandwich before I go to bed because I always eat before I get in bed.

4. Memor

Memor Active Member

Holy shit, that's terrible dude, you're at ground zero here :rofl: Gotta start somewhere though.

The bodybuilder sticky has a good example of a strict diet, but you'll probably hate it and burn out fast trying it if you're switching from pizza and pasta to that. The better thing to do is to change small things first and see if you can stick to them. Stop pounding bread & melted cheese 4x a day, stop eating so much damn bread anyway. Try and pick protein sources like chicken and steak and fish, and not having them dunked in oil or deep fried. Try and pick carb sources like rice, potatoes, and oatmeal instead of 4 biscuits or pizza dough. Eat a shitload. Don't worry about tracking calories or macronutrients, you're 150lbs, as long as you pound a ton of steak & rice and don't eat pizza or wendy's 2x a day 7 days a week, in conjunction with a proper routine with compound lifts, you'll gain weight and get stronger, it's called noob gains.

Have you ever lifted before? Do you know how to squat bench and deadlift properly?

I started at 5'10" 140 about 3 years ago and started a routine with those 3 lifts + ate burger king and a shitload of PBJs all summer and gained 20lbs lol, but that's probably not the smartest way. Make those small changes and lift hard...I'm no diet expert anyway but when you're starting out and skinny you shouldn't worry about that shit.

5. Jroc

Jroc New Member

Eating all that pizza and pasta and not gaining weight?

:HiFive:

6. zatotheck

zatotheck New Member

I don't know how to squat/bench/deadlift properly but I am sure I can find a guide or find someone who does.
    So your suggestion is to start out by laying back on bread, picking up on protein, eatting as much as possible, and getting a workout routine. Do you suggest any protein shake or anything like that?

7. grimstone

grimstone magic murda bag OT Supporter

gomad just but starting strength and follow it

Last edited: May 8, 2009
  8. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

to learn how to squat/dead watch this:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6529481301858251744

9. ralyks

ralyks New Member

You're not eating as much as you think you are. Every skinny noob wanting to gain weight has the "I eat so much" mentality, and truth is -- you don't. Clean up your diet like Memor recommended and go on the "see food" diet. At 150lbs, as long as you're working out to some degree you'll pack on some good weight.

10. Bacchus

Bacchus Skinny Guy

to give you an idea, when i started to put on weight 2 months ago - i was 143 at 5'8. I couldn't gain weight even with 3,400 CLEAN calories, and it wasn't until i was getting over 4,000 calories a day that i was putting on weight.

You might need to find your balance. Read this to get an idea where to start: http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?threadid=699488

At the start, it was harder doing that then the weights. After a few weeks, you can pack down 4,500 calories without even thinking about it - because you know what to eat and how much.

Good luck :)

11. HorseDick

HorseDick Active Member

12. Memor

Memor Active Member

You only need protein shakes if you're not getting enough protein from food.

Like grimstone said, buy this book: http://www.amazon.com/Starting-Stre...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1241786211&sr=8-1

Along with that, try and change your daily meals to include less of the current ones you're eating and more of the foods I suggested. You don't need to eat super clean, but if you pound a ton of pizza and pasta, you'll just get chubby and stronger.

13. Dr. Smooth

Dr. Smooth dazed and confused

honestly what i'd recommend as a fellow former skinny bastard is to keep eating as much as you're currently eating and ADD the protein shakes pre/post workout and in the morning. if you really have as much trouble gaining as you say you do, eating crap calories isn't going to make you fat. you NEED to lift, but don't overdo it...quality over quantity. get a routine established that includes deadlifts and squats, and do it 3x a week or so. putting on weight is 50% calories, 25% training and 25% sleep. don't try to go twice a day 6 days a week, you won't give your body time to rest.

like everybody else said, you gotta make sure you're consuming enough calories to gain. of course it would be better to eat clean, but believe me you're not gonna turn into a fat ass right away if you don't.

14. .::Rotten Apple::.

.::Rotten Apple::. OT Supporter

You an X-Files fan Memor?

15. Memor

Memor Active Member

Nah, only seen a couple episodes here and there. Why?

16. SirBoss7

SirBoss7 Life is a tragedy to those who feel and a comedy t

If you work out a lot though, the protein shakes help out with recovery in my opinion.

I was running 8miles daily at 5am in 50-54 minutes, then lifting for about 2 hours from 10-12pm for a semester. Tried one week off of protein shakes after the lifting, and each successive day my workout quality deteorated and I started off feeling more and more fatigued and didn't get as good of a workout. When I went back to taking protein daily, I felt I had more energy and had a better time of doing my fulll routines each day.

17. Memor

Memor Active Member

I'm just saying that they are substitutes for a protein-filled meal. So if you eat some tuna or some chicken and get the protein there, it'll have the same effect. The shakes are just easier to do sometimes. I'd think that feeling fatigued in your workouts would mean you'd need more carbs on lifting days

18. .::Rotten Apple::.

.::Rotten Apple::. OT Supporter

Amor Fati was the name of an episode and isn't something you really expect people to mention in general.

19. Memor

Memor Active Member

Hah, interesting to know. It's also a Nietzsche quote I have tattooed across my upper back, lol

20. 17%

17% New Member

you don't eat a lot.

i'm the same weight as you, and i can eat a whole box of pizza in 1 sitting.

eat more during your sittings.

21. 17%

17% New Member

drink milk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.