A&P Dealing with what you're given...

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by vwpilot, Apr 24, 2007.

1. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

Sometimes thats exactly what you have to do. A motorsports photog out of the UK that is a friend and one of the best shooters out there always uses the expression "you piss with the dick you're given" when referring to ugly tracks and crappy lighting.

That was the theme of the weekend at Houston. A typical street track with not a whole lot other than cement walls and catch fencing to deal with. So, we made due with what we had and that was the lighting, which was pretty good both evenings. So we have some fairly typical compositions and tried to use the lighting to bring it above the norm.

So here are a couple shots from the weekend. A full gallery can be viewed at www.speedarena.com for those interested.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Seeing the drivers eyes always helps.

[​IMG]

Reliant Stadium was about the only useful backround there.

[​IMG]

And a few that werent up on SA.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

enjoy

2. Mighty_Zeus

Mighty_Zeus Guest

Good times. I like teh Miata picture. It always fascinates me to see how much stress is put on brakes.

What kind of gear do you have to use to catch these guys at speed and maintain good light an color?

3. Cobber

Cobber Wanna touch my bunny hole?

exif info is there

Camera Make: Canon
    Camera Model: Canon EOS-1D Mark II N
    Image Date: 2007:04:21 15:44:07
    Flash Used: No
    Focal Length: 500.0mm
    CCD Width: 6.59mm
    Exposure Time: 0.0010 s (1/1000)
    Aperture: f/7.1
    ISO equiv: 160
    Exposure Bias: -0.33
    White Balance: Auto
    Metering Mode: Matrix
    Exposure: aperture priority (semi-auto)

4. Mighty_Zeus

Mighty_Zeus Guest

Why yes, you are right. The exif is there. Thank you, but that is not what I was asking.

Seeing the exposure numbers means nothing when I ask what kind of gear is used for this kind of application....oh except the camera body.

5. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

I use the MkIIN and three main lenses, the 24-70 f/2.8, the 70-200 f/2.8 IS and the 500 f/4 IS.

6. Hippy

Hippy New Member

see u did good this time...

keep up with the curb hits, and less blurry staduims.

7. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

Thanks

Less blurry stadiums? Would you like me to just park the car out there?

Sorry, having the stadium sharp would have ruined the photo as it would have taken away any feeling of motion in the car.

Motorsports photography is about showing motion. If you park a car with high shutter speeds and freeze wheels and backgrounds, there is no motion involved and you might as well just take beauty shots and park the car on the track when there is nothing going on.

And before anyone says I'm bad at taking a critique, that isnt a critique, that is just a plain wrong statement and I'm just explaining why its wrong.

8. 1.8

1.8 Guest

Are you on crack or are you just nitpicking cause you can? It would look retarded if he used a higher aperature/lower shutter speed

9. Hippy

Hippy New Member

and i think it looks retarded as it is now too.

10. Hippy

Hippy New Member

its my opinion u tard. you DO suck at taking crits though, as proven in almost every thread u ever have.

I dont bother to critque your stuff because of it, and instead i tell u what i think works and doesnt work.

IMO the blurry staduim backdrop doesnt work.

Also, motorsports photography doesnt always have to show motion.

It seems to me that you plave very little value on aesthetics and alot of value on folowing "the rules of motorsports photography"

11. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

No...you actually suck at learning something.

You're hopeless. Its too bad you live in about the only place in the country that you cant actually take me up on my challenge, because I'd love to see what you come up with.

12. 19Godfather86

19Godfather86 New Member

Hippy is an idiot.