SRS Dealing with uncertainty/fear

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Coottie, Aug 26, 2007.

1. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Well if you haven't been to the on-topic section in awhile, you may not know....last week my house was broken into.
    http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=3378203

It's now Sunday morning and I've replace the door and door jam and reinforced them both and my alarm system will be monitored very soon....but I'm finding today that I really don't want to go back to work tomorrow. I mean the day they broke in was just like any other day of the week....there was literally nothing different/special about it other than that day, some fucker decided to kick down my front door.

Since I don't know who did this, why they did it, nor whether they were satisfied with what they got (I only lost my PS/2) I don't know if they are planning on coming back or what. I would love to think that this was just some kids because all they stole was the PS/2 and left EVERYTHING else alone......I even had money sitting out in the open and they didn't take that.

I can't help but feel that was a scouting run.....like they wanted to see all my shit and sometime in the next couple of weeks, they are going to come back with more people and clean me out. I literally don't want to leave my house.

I know it isn't possible to stay home forever and I have faith in my higher power. I have good insurance so I can get back my stuff if they steal it but damn....there are things that can't be replace if they take those.

This is really strange because suddenly, no house or housing addition seems safe....except for the really expensive ones with paid guards that are on duty all the time.

Ugh....I don't like this feeling at all.

2. Aronomy

Aronomy Get your COME ON!

You should look into a Doberman Pincher or German Shepherd. (or some other dog similar in size). When people hear a dog barking, they don't even bother with that house, there are so many other ones that would be easier. Seriously, I feel really safe with my dog, I don't know if I would without him.

3. Coottie

Yeah, I certainly have been thinking about that but ugh....training a new dog to be house trained is a bitch and they tear shit up when you're not home.

4. armygrognard

armygrognard New Member

5. Coottie

6. armygrognard

armygrognard New Member

Do some research on it. I seem to recall that even the cops battering ram had trouble with those.

Are you in a house? Security pros say the #1 deterrent is LIGHT. Add lights around the house. And I was serious about the dog and shotgun. Most drive-by crooks will bypass a house with a dog. Just not worth it. And if you're home, there's nothing like the comfort of a 12 ga. ratcheting in a shell.

Glad that door club helped you out.

The dog is worth the effort, especially when you take them to training classes. Best friend you'll ever have.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2007
  7. Coottie

Yes I live in a house...it was a midday break in while I was at work so light isn't even an issue. A dog would have been helpful, no doubts there...but it's hell training them. I've raised a German Shepard pup from 8 weeks old....he was the best dog ever but he was high maintenance.

I created this thread cuz my fears have been really going goofy today. I don't really even want to leave my home and honestly, except for a bank safety deposit box, no place is truly safe.

It gets even worse when I think that it might have been a scouting run and they are definitely planning on returning.

8. armygrognard

armygrognard New Member

Check with your local martial arts schools and see if they offer any self-defense classes. My kids were at an Olympic-style Taekwondo school and the instructor offer self-defense an hapkiddo classes at night. Fear can be assuaged through confidence and the knowledge that you will be able to deal with someone in your home.

A handgun (and classes) with a permit to carry is another thought. Gotta have the training so you'll know what to do when you need to do it. Hesitation kills.

If you don't like guns, then pepper spray.

And as for the club, sadly, that's only good while you're there. However, you can use longer shank screws on the hinges and a better quality dead bolt to improve the doors ability to withstand a kick.

Cameras are getting cheaper and you could install those as well and either record or monitor via the web. All sorts of options.

Good luck!!!

9. Coottie

Yeah I totally agree. My boss is really into martial arts and specifically self defense arts. We've already been talking about this but I'm not entirely in love with the idea yet.
    Yeah I'm about 99% sure I'm going to go this route. I've always wanted to know more about guns and classes sound just like my thing. They are a lot of responsibility so I'm not taking this lightly....in fact, just the opposite...I'm perhaps being a bit too cautious about them but I'm working on that.
    Actually the club would be great for at least one of the doors. My house is laid out so that I could club both doors and still be able to get in through my garage. :)
    Yeah I'm going to check into these also....we've got a local spy shop that carries them. Going to stop by sometime soon.

ADT just came and hooked up my alarm system to their monitoring station and they gave me plenty of stickers and signs. Every window and door has a sticker on it now and since they are monitoring my system, I'm no where near as worried about leaving my home.

If the burglars come back, I will know about it much sooner than I did this time and even if I don't know about it, the cops will be called and might...just might catch the guy. That is....if there isn't a new batch of donuts.

I think that was what I was really worried about. That they would come back and clean me out over the course of 5-6 hours and noone would know. A co-worker had this happen to her....they literally stole her dining room table and all sorts of other furniture but she didn't have an alarm.

Anyways, thanks for all your feedback.