SRS Dealing with the pain of agoraphobia and panic attacks

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by AzN Dynomite, Nov 6, 2008.

1. AzN Dynomite

AzN Dynomite New Member

Long story short, I suffer from serve panic attacks and agoraphobia when I travel alone outside my home. Needless to say, this has greatly effected my self esteem as I feel dependent on others to do everyday things, like banking and shopping.

I know my panic attacks stem from a fear of having a heart attack. I'm pretty strict about my diet, exercise 3-5 times a week (at home) and only drink water and orange juice. I've quit drinking alcohol to cover up my problems and have been sober for just over a month.

However, it's the mental aspects I struggle with everyday. Although I've improved in recent months, I feel I've hit a brink wall and am in a deadlock with my stress. I tell myself constantly to "man the fuck up and power through it" but often I crumble under the pain and end up running for my "safe place".

Bottom line, I can't take the physical symptoms of the panic attacks, mainly the chest pain and the racing heartbeat.

I've been put on Effexor and Diazepam (among a couple others that escape me right now) in the past, but the side effects were horrible. I felt like a mindless zombie and still had panic attacks, only I was constantly tired and slept 12-14 hours a day. Is my only option to tough it out through the pain? I feel frustrated and worthless...any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cliffs: Basically, my negative thinking and constant worrying cause panic attacks, which in turn, trigger chest pain. Any suggestions?

Last edited: Nov 6, 2008
  2. Fuzion

Fuzion heaven and hell

I went and am still going through the same symptoms. I'd rather stay indoors and away from social gatherings/public places because of it.

I was prescribed xanax and it really helps immensely. I also receive fairly bad panic attacks while driving which came out of nowhere just a few years ago and they also help tons in that aspect.

What I'd suggest is maybe trying some therapy sessions. I was totally up front with my therapist and told her my friend even gave me xanax and it really work positively for me, so she wrote of a recommendation for a prescribtion.

While it may or may not work for you, talk about your feelings / problems with a therapist and see what they think would be right for you.

3. no lol today

no lol today Soy la bailarina de la muerta. OT Supporter

O hai :wavey:

I'm stuck at home, but for a different kind of problem. I have (Rather than panic attacks) attacks that leave me paralyzed either partially or fully. It's only temporary but it freaks me the fuck out.

I'm terrible at making friends. There is nobody that I know other than family that lives near me but my family is not very supportive. I need help to get out of my house & haven't been able to find it.

Anyway - I'm down to join the "trying to gtfo" crew. Scared to go out alone. Scared to fall. :hs:

4. Scootin

Scootin OT Supporter

Propanolol. Use it, learn to love it.

Especially since you're having major issues with the sympathetic effects of panic attacks.

5. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

One who is afraid to lose their life might as wel be afraid of their own shadow, what is needed in life is not fear, nothing can grow from that. Cast off your fear! Look forward! Go forward! Never stand still. Retreat and you will age. Hesitate and you will die. Fear is like a person in a prison with an open door, even if it is pain that awaits you by going thru that door you must understand that you can't keep going around in circles , in life you must constantly try to make the best decisions, even if they are bad ones you must keep doing everything in your power to move forward. You are not supposed to be a hermit, staying inside keeps you safe, but on the other hand you are missing out on life. So even if the worst thing happens outside that you die, don't you see that staying inside of your house is worse then death? Honestly i've been outside and look im still alive. :wavey: and you can too.

6. AzN Dynomite

AzN Dynomite New Member

"Man the fuck up and power through it!"

:hs: