A&P Dealing with Friends

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by nindia, Mar 5, 2010.

1. nindia

nindia OT Supporter

I don't consider myself a professional photographer by any means. Sometimes when I hang out with my friends, I bring my camera and take a bunch of shots for shits and giggles.

Some of the photos turn out great and my friends like them and want copies etc. whatever.

Lately I've been getting a lot of people asking me to shoot their events :o I don't mind things like a birthday or a party etc. because if I fuck it up it's not the end of the world...

BUT...lately everyone seems to be getting married :o There's no way in hell I'd shoot anyones wedding...but people want me to shoot other small(er) related events like engagement sessions.

I basically just tell them I don't consider myself a professional and don't want to fuck up their engagement photos for them :rofl: A lot of them, I think, think I'm just making excuses or don't want to do it for them.

I don't even really know why I made this thread :rofl:

What's an engagement session worth? I've thought about getting some training under my belt. Maybe I'll do it for them and if they're not happy with the results I wont charge them :dunno: Just for practice I guess :dunno:

2. Idyfohu

Idyfohu New Member

If you enjoy doing it, which is sounds like you do and especially if people are happy with what you do, why not charge?

Just do something reasonable, especially if you're just trying it out and it's for friends. $100 seems like a fair price, especially if you know what you're doing, even though you're not a pro. Worst case, they say no and then they can pay a real fee to a pro, which they won't like compared to your $100.

The other thought, just do it for free if you want, get practice and then if you enjoy it, look into doing it on the side for a little extra cash. :)

3. jshively

jshively OT Supporter

The nice thing about dealing with friends is they are already relaxed in front of you and will just be themselves.

If you do not feel comfortable just tell them and at least offer to help them find someone who can. More than likely they do not know where to start and know you are proficient with a camera.

My one buddy has been begging me to get some pics of his son. I told him not to expect anything spectacular but I would love the practice. Payment is going to be in lunch/booze. I know down the road I will need a favor and he will gladly do it for the same fee.

The worst that is going to happen is you are going to blow a Saturday with friends taking pictures.

4. johan

johan Active Member

No need to speculate...

If you're concerned about delivering on the day of the big "engagement" shoot, grab them or another couple, head out somewhere random for a test shoot, and come back with killer shots.

You'll get a good idea if you're in the free, $100/token fee, or $500+ category.

Do it structured though, instead of just looking back over dozens of different times you've taken pics and figuring you've got it covered.
    A half-dozen keepers won't cut it for a real shoot.

5. Bloody Sunday

Bloody Sunday OT Supporter

I had my camera for exactly 2 months when I shot my friend's engagement. I didn't charge them anything, but they bought me lunch and a $50 gift cert. to Target :rofl:

still, it was fun and great for the experience.

6. Gvidon

Gvidon New Member

Sounds like you know what you are doing. While at it, why not make some extra cash?

Go for it.