A&P Dealing with editors

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by SenenCito, Sep 11, 2009.

1. SenenCito

SenenCito OT Supporter

For those of you who work with magazines and online publications.
    Don't you sometimes feel like you want to strangle your editors for their insane photo selections and comments.

One of the magazines I work for tells me to always upload a preview gallery with everything, bad photos and good photos, reasoning is that they can get a better idea how the photoshoot went, I agree with that and usually don't mind sending shitty proofs, but lately the comments they bring me back make me nuts!
    for example

on photo number 2 of a 200 photo proof gallery she tells me "why the hell isnt he looking at the camera" and no other comments

on another shoot, omg he looks so gay on this one.

you get the idea.

Anyone had similar experiences?

2. CornUponCob

CornUponCob New Member

I have been surprised by the photos that people pick to use.

Although, because I had to look through the photos, delete shitty ones, then go back and make corrections, I'm probably more familiar with the gallery than somebody who is looking at the gallery would be. (So they might not know where the best photos are as quickly as I would)

Also, you should tell those people that we're no longer allowed to use "gay" as a negative term. You're supposed to say, "That's so 16 year old boy with a cheesy mustache" according to Wanda Sykes

3. themolsen

themolsen New Member

wow...that sounds like some of those editors are kind of d-bags or are really immature.

I've never had that issue. My editors always just asked for the shots and I gave them the best shots. They usually ended up using what I gave them. Sometimes, they'd ask beforehand for a large gallery, but I still tossed out the crappy shots :dunno:

4. SenenCito

SenenCito OT Supporter

I believe I am going to do that from now on, can't stand to think someone would shoot a badly lit test shot over a really nice three light portrait.

5. SonicYan

SonicYan Active Member

Yeah I asked something similar too before if you guys turn in all pictures including outtakes/bad ones. I just don't turn in the crappy ones. Still though, their selection baffles me sometimes as well.

6. themolsen

themolsen New Member

I know. You have to assume your editors know what they're doing, but they don't always. Google "Peter Principle".... that's especially applicable in journalism/media fields

7. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

I think the easy solution here is to just get rid of the obvious crap shots.

8. themolsen

themolsen New Member

In my experience, when editors say they want to see "the bad shots too," they really want to see the shots that YOU weren't 100% happy with, but are still usable.

We tend to be our own worst critics and sometimes might overlook a good shot due to it not being technically perfect when there are other redeeming qualities that might make it the right shot to use

9. isaac86hatch

isaac86hatch This thread sucks

Over the years I have never had to deal with this. The only thing I've ever heard was once an editor asked if I had some more shots meaning she was not happy with the lack of diversity in that one particular shoot. Unfortunately working in journalism is just kinda that way, man. It's not glamorous or well-paying but it beats the hell out of accounting.

10. turbodude

turbodude Just a photographer OT Supporter

i never turn in shots that i do not deem print worthy. I dont care what the editor says, they werent there when i shot them. And even still, gauranteed, that the editor will choose a different image than i originally wanted to be sent for print.

11. themolsen

themolsen New Member

Yea, my general rule-of-thumb is to not turn in anything I wouldn't want to have my name attached to :dunno:

12. HighTachPres

HighTachPres New Member

This situation sounds very very extreme.
    I'm the Art Director for Import Tuner and we deal with the same thing with photographers.

IF we use a NEW photograhper, we like to see the full set. But even then we only critique on the set as a whole. We would NEVER single out a photo and say "why isn't the front wheel lite?"

As a photographer myself I know that every photo can't be perfect. And after a few trial runs with a new photographer, we basically leave the shoot and image selection up to the trusted photographer.

13. HighTachPres

HighTachPres New Member

I make good selections :coolugh:

14. SonicYan

SonicYan Active Member

I guess you have better taste. :mamoru: But the editors I've worked with have more often than not chosen the pics I liked too tho. :o There's just the occasional pic that they choose that really wasn't what I wanted.

I've never experienced editors/directors giving me critique though. They just said they loved the pics but I'm assuming they're just being nice, given my location where no one really says what's on their mind. :o

15. SenenCito

SenenCito OT Supporter

Wish I had an editor like you. Any chance you need something shot on the island I'll gladly do it

16. isaac86hatch

isaac86hatch This thread sucks

Rotary-powered starlets!

17. SenenCito

SenenCito OT Supporter

my ears suffered when I tried to take pictures near one of those, had to put the camera down and cover both ears, fuckers are LOUD!

18. alexromo

alexromo New Member

i really want some criticism like that, none of that "sell to family" "shovel handle flash holder" bullshit

19. alexromo

alexromo New Member

:bowdown:

20. Gvidon

Gvidon New Member

:bowrofl: @ gay comment. Sounds like the editor is from the internets.