Dealer installed "sealant" on a new car...

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Steve Kerr, Jul 9, 2004.

1. Steve Kerr

Steve Kerr 6 Time NBA Champion OT Supporter

So I just bought a new car and they said they put a "sealant" on the car.

Is that anything more than just a nice wax job or does it actually do anything?

Does it require any additon maintaince. Do I need to reapply the "sealant" after a certain amount of time?

Thanks all.

:cheers:

2. Steve Kerr

Oh and if it matters... its a Honda.

3. perry

perry burp

Probably nothing more than a poor wax job :o

Do normal maintenance on the paint...

4. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Rule #1 when buying a new car....Don't let the dealer wax or seal it. I don't care how high end the dealer is, 99 times out of 100, they don't know shit about proper waxing techniques. Dirty wool pads and a high speed rotary is their usual procedure which guarantees buffer swirls and white residue in every crevice and emblem.

I really hope you didn't pay extra for this.

I would use a good polish or swirl remover to clean the paint and remove their junk and then use the wax or sealant you want.

5. Steve Kerr

Unfortunately... it was done to the car as part of the "pre-prep" process before the car even goes on sale.

No, I didn't pay for it. They tried to charge me $1500 for the "Arizona Package" which has door trim molding, wheel well molding, tint and "paint sealant".

I laughed and said I wouldn't pay for it.

On a side note....

Scottwax: can you recommend a PROFESSIONAL detailer (like yourself) in the phoenix area, I don't know if you have any contacts or friends in phoenix or not, but I would appreciate if you could point me in a direction where I could look to find someone... like a website or a list or something.

Thanks!

6. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

Autopia has a section for finding detailers in your area. :dunno:

7. mycoplasma

mycoplasma New Member

8. Scottwax

Yep. I don't know offhand who in Phoenix is real good.

9. dilligaf

dilligaf -

LOL, my dad bought a new toyota. In the glove box was a bottle with "vehicle protection package" on the front of it. I oopened it up, seems to be cleaner wax.

I wonder how much they charge for the "protection package"

10. perry

perry burp

Southeastern Toyota dealerships charge like $600 for the Toyo Guard Protection Package... paint, undercarriage, maybe some interior protection, and VIN etching on windows.

link

HUGE markup on it!

11. dilligaf

dilligaf -

Well at least they do something. I was thinking the bottle of cleaner wax was the entire protection package.

12. autoracer1

autoracer1 Rallyx postponed :wtc: Next one May 10.

At my dealership, and I cant say how much because I am bound by a confidentiality agreement, lets just say that the markup from cost on the full "pro pack" rust, undercoat, paint, fabric is somewhere around 1000%.

13. M3-DIS

M3-DIS Guest

Haha, u fucking drive a Honda?? AHAHAHAHAHA

14. Morgan06

Morgan06 New Member

I've actually ran a multitude of new car dealer detail departments in my day, and can honestly tell you this stuff is overpriced- but I have used it on personal vehicles and it works.

Most of the dealerships I've been involved with used the Simoniz System 5 paint protection on their purchases. The parts department pays nearly $110 for the product- it's not the Teflon or the shine you're paying for- its the warranty. This product was actually guaranteed by Traveler's or the Hartford insurance groups, for a certain number of months against paint stains, etching, etc.

That said, new car buyers often pay upwards of $300-$500 for this sealant. Before leaving my last job, I had in my possession nearly 30 separate packages and could only get $25 each on Ebay. Still have 4 or so if anyone's interested. PM me.

15. Scottwax

...and it is a pretty worthless warranty. Modern clear coats will usually hold up to bird bombs, etc with very minimal care, plus most of the so called 5-year warranties specify reapplication at regular intervals to keep the warranty in force. Miss a reapplication, too bad. Plus, few people these days actually keep their cars 5 years and when they pass along any paperwork on the car to the new buyer (assuming a private sale), the new owner probably will file away the warranty and never look at it again.

I'd be willing to bet the insurance groups maybe pay out a handful of claims a year for the entire country.

Alway, alway, always, decline the dealer sealant package. Regular polishing and waxing will not only protect your car well but after 5 years, a car that is regularly maintained is going to look significantly better than a car that had some miracle sealant applied 5 years ago then never touched beyond washing since.

16. keleko

keleko yes, he is

how about south florida?

i got a load of pits/chips on the front end that need to be filled, and 2 minor dents in the left rear door, and the whole thing needs a good going-over inside and out

17. Scottwax

If your area isn't covered in the pro detailers list, it is because I don't know anyone in that area to recommend.

Register at http://autopia.org and make a detailer request in the proper regional forum.

18. Run N. Gun

Run N. Gun Active Member

Me neither, and I live here. I will help a fellow OT'r out and take care of your car for free. I can also teach you what I've learned here, that way you can do it yourself, if you want. :wavey:

If you want a pro detailer (I'm not a pro), my brother uses one for his show cars and I can get the info for you. On a side note worth mentioning, my brother always tells me that my cars' paint look better than his. :mamoru:

19. RyRy

RyRy Active Member

It's really sad that dealer sales people can actually make people believe they don't have to wax their cars for 5 years if they pay xxxx dollars for this "sealant". I have had a few people that I know that have fallen for it, and less then a few months later they wonder why their car doesn't bead up anymore when the paint is wet :rofl: I even went so far as to attack 1/2 of my cousins 07 Suburban with a Meguiars 3 step and do nothing to the other 1/2 just to show her the difference when it was a month old. She truly did the :eek5: this winter when we went shopping and keep in mind it's been 6+ months since I last touched it with any thing besides a drive thru auto wash and the 1/2 that I did with Meg still beads up and the other 1/2.. nothing :rofl:

20. thomor25

thomor25 I make money online....

it was probably simonize that was put on the honda

21. Run N. Gun

Run N. Gun Active Member

...and this thread is 2.5 years old...:rolleyes:

22. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

:rofl::rofl::rofl: