deadlifts

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by ccrooks, Jan 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ccrooks

ccrooks New Member

alright, so i've got a few questions concerning the almighty deads

first off, i've been doing 3 sets of 8-12 reps on deadlifts and a few people have commented in my log asking why i'm doing such high volume... then, some guy at the gym (the only guy at my gym who does oly lifting, pretty much) asked me the same thing today before my 3rd set... so, is 3 sets of 10 on deads bad?

second, in the brad pitt thread ( :mamoru2: ) i saw that someone said bodybuilders don't usually do deadlifts in an attempt to preserve the waist taper ("V" shape)since doing deads will give you a wider waist... any truth to this?

get it all out in the open, guys... i like doing deadlifts. love 'em, actually, but i wanna know if i'm causing any damage doing 8-10 reps/set

2. benny196

benny196 New Member

3.Timberwolf was the one who said that didn't he?
    'nuff said.

Edit: Yes it's probaly true.

3. ccrooks

ccrooks New Member

i think lancer brought it up when timberwolf asked if it was a typo (in reference to the other guy's 225 squat when he benches and deads 405)

4. ccrooks

ccrooks New Member

i was more worried about hurting my lower back/core than i was about the thick waist, it was more of a "while we're on the subject..." thing than anything else

thanks for the answers, though :h5:

do you think i should go back to a 5x5 for deads as opposed to the 3x10 i'm doing now?

5. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

Why not both ? change is good.

6. jmezz

jmezz layin in bed stretchin my pumped quads for hours

I was always under the impression that you should avoid higher reps when doing dl's because it could lead to injury.

Not sure on the waist taper comment, but even if it is true I don't care. The deadlift is a sick exercise.

7. ccrooks

ccrooks New Member

i was alternating each week for a while, there, but decided to stick with one rep scheme for a couple of months and then change it up

if high reps is bad, there's no need to change it up, though

8. Genghis.Tron

Genghis.Tron New Member

As long as you have a good form, I don't know why it would be a problem.

9. ccrooks

ccrooks New Member

leg drive to start the weight moving, straight back is pretty much what i concentrate on as far as form goes... that and not waiting until my leg drive is almost done to straighten up

10. Alt+F4

Alt+F4 official OT hockey stud

As has been said before, 3 sets of 10-12 is just fine so long as your form is good throughout, but regardless of your current scheme you should be switching it up every 8 weeks or so.

11. TZ

TZ Banned

i have poor form on the deadlift. usually when i get tired my knees start to lock out too quick and it becomes a sldl, and really fucks my back. My back has been sore since friday. :madfawk:

12. Formz

Formz Hipster Santa OT Supporter

If you can maintain the form then you're fine. But as chris said at high reps particularly on DLs it tends to break down.

If it's working, and you're not hurting yourself, you're fine.

As far as the taper/waist issue, adding any muscle mass around that area is going to make the taper less apparent, but you'll be stronger.

13. Mass

Mass Active Member

when Im dieting I'll do high rep DL's, like 225x15-20, its a workout for sure.

14. ccrooks

ccrooks New Member

:eek3: 15-20 reps? god damn... just the one set?

15. Phineas Q Stork

Phineas Q Stork Active Member

5x5 on deadlifts is rough, i wish i was man enough to try it for more than 2 weeks

16. ralyks

ralyks New Member

Ive been doing 3 sets of 10 for 2 or 3 weeks now, they kick my ass. I used to half squat the weight up now I damn near stiff leg the thing.

17. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

For some reason I always though thought the phrase was "for all intensive purposes," until now... I'm a retard :rofl:

18. ccrooks

ccrooks New Member

towards the end, i have to really concentrate on keeping my hips low... my form was horrible before... i was lifting with my back WAY too much

19. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

as for deads I'm no serious lifter but I don't have a lot of weight at home to go heavy enough for strength, so I usually load up everything I have and do 3x10 once a week just because it keeps my lower back feeling strong and stable... Like has been said, form can deteriorate after many reps so make sure to pay very careful attention to it. I do a shitload of bodyweight DL's in front of the mirror every time to warm up and make sure I'm doing the movement right.

edit: point is, I don't really get shit out of it other than lower back stimulation. I liked it a lot better when I was in the gym and could go heavy.

20. kit99bar

kit99bar USPA Class 2, weak, old man!

My back has been sore the last few weeks so I did 10 rep DLs also. Form is better with all 10 reps then heavier sets

21. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

I did the opposite... when strength training I basically did stiff legged and once I started doing lighter weight more reps I was actually able to use my pansy fag legs in the lift.

22. metalfan111

metalfan111 Guest

So 5x5 sounds good? My lower back is usually sore the day after I do deadlift. I'm pretty sure my form is good, I'm not sure if its sore because I was working it out or because I'm hurting it. Anyone know if deadlift is suppose to make it sore?

23. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

just like any other muscle if you work it out often enough it likely won't get too sore... if you only do that specific workout infrequently or if you've added weight and/or changed the set/rep scheme, then it will get sore. Perhaps your lower back is a weak link in your chain and it's taking some punishment.

I did 5x5 DL's three times a week for 4 months (pyramid, light, medium) and I liked it a lot... took a week break from them every month though because I hurt my lower back in the first month doing too much weight and it was a really weak spot. Aside from the injury and when I tried my 1rm's and stuff going a lot heavier than normal, I didn't experience soreness on a regular basis.

WARNING: this simple advice/experience shouldn't be paid attention to because i'm not a PLer or a BBer and I'm "skinnyfat" :o

24. Oscar

Oscar Guest

How often do you guys dead? Is twice a week too much? It's my favorite lift. :hs:

25. michael

michael FLORIDA > *

i'm switching to a 5x5 or 6x4 start tomorrow for the next 4 weeks :hs:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.