deadlift / rack pull question

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Hoser, Jul 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hoser

Hoser Good day to be lifting these huge triangular weigh

The lower portion of the deadlift has always been my weak point, lifting from the floor to about my knees. I think this has something to do with my height (6' 2").
    Since this lower movement is mostly legs and I do deads as a back excercise, is there a definite disadvantage to doing rack pulls from knee height instead? I max out at about 315 from the floor but have pulled over 400 on rack pulls. Obviously doing the full rep range has it's advantage, but does that advantage out weigh the fact that more weight equals more muscle? Or is this the equivilent to doing a 1/4 squat?

2. Sgt. Ownage

Sgt. Ownage you gon' be just fiiiine

i would do something with a fuller range of motion to train that area like GHR, GM, and reverse hyper

3. Hoser

do you mean to improve the lower portion of my deadlift?

4. Sgt. Ownage

Sgt. Ownage you gon' be just fiiiine

5. edmang

edmang New Member

Today's training tip comes from Eric Cressey:

Deadlift From A Deficit

Are you weak off the floor on your deadlift? Is it hard to get the bar moving? One nervous system trick is to pull from a deficit. Stand on a box or a platform about six inches off the ground and perform a few sets of deadlift. Once you get rid of the box and pull from the floor, the weights will seem to fly off the ground!

6. Gutrat

Gutrat "GET DOWN..."

Hmm, i'm going to try rack pulls soon.

7. Hoser

that is a damn interesting idea. i may have to try this

8. G-n-P

G-n-P New Member

Ok here is a short list of ways to improve your start (btw height has nothing to do, more your body proportions).

As was mentioned, you can do pulls from a box. I happen to feel that anything more than a 3-4 box is too much as it starts to put you in a different position.

My favorite is pulling against bands, it will develop the starting speed you need.

The last thing I would use to develop the start is chain suspended good mornings.

Last, work on your form, the biggest gains come from better recruitment which comes from better form.

9. Hoser

I know my form is strange...the guy i go with says my lift looks like it's in two parts, from the floor i power straight up with the legs and then once my legs are straight I pull it the rest of the way up with back. I know I need to lean back and pull it up like I'm trying to push my heels right through the floor, but for some reason I can't seem to get it right, it just feels really awkward.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.