Deadlift problem/lifting for sports

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Snowed, Apr 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Snowed

Snowed OT Supporter

I started doing deadlifts a few months ago. My back would round no matter what weight I did. I worked with it and 2 months in I can do ~155 without it rounding. That's pussy shit and I can definitely lift more, but I don't wanna fuck up my back. If I can't do anymore weight without it rounding, should I keep it light or move up anyways?

Also, I've been following starting strength for the past 8 months or so (I didn't do deadlifts of power cleans for a while but finally worked them in more recently.) It's pretty legit and I'm definitely seeing results, but I want to start training more for the sports I do instead of gaining lots of muscle (doing both would be nice, but I know it's not gonna happen.)

I'm about 20% bf right now, and I want to lean down and focus on getting in shape for mountain biking during the spring/summer and snowboarding/bootpacking which is pretty much highstepping uphill through snow for next winter.

Should I change up the program and do less weight/more reps? Or just change my diet and consume less calories? Anything else I should do besides riding the stationary bike and using the stairmaster?

2. Phineas Q Stork

Phineas Q Stork Active Member

so you are all about flying down a mountain with your feet strapped either to a board or pedals, but afraid of hurting your back when deadlifting 155?

3. TZ

TZ Banned

:rofl:

4. smithers

smithers OT Supporter

More cals more weight

5. link434

link434 OT Supporter

Their are guys 6'7"+ who DL without rounded backs. You can too, learn proper form.

Walk up to bar let it touch your shins
    Bend over grab bar without lowering your ass that much
    keep your chest raised
    pull bar by "sitting back" with your weight directed more towards your heels, the bar should be on your body.
    the key is before you lift there should be no play in your body, everything should be tight, almost
    uncomfortable to hold that position, your quads should already be semi-flexed.

profit

Last edited: Apr 20, 2010
  6. Spartan

Spartan OT Supporter

do more core work

7. Snowed

Snowed OT Supporter

yup.
    i used to have lower back pain all the time, eventually it went away. it comes back whenever i try to move up my deadlift.

and starting strength is based around core work. squats 3 days a week, bench, ohp, deadlifts, and power cleans at least 2 days a week.

i've followed similar advice and watched 3284345 videos on good form (including looking at a bunch of rippetoes videos and papers.) i've definitely gotten better, but anytime i do anything it temporarily fucks up my back, which couldn't be good to do over and over.

8. grimstone

grimstone magic murda bag OT Supporter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.