deadlift pr

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by meervincent, Oct 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. meervincent

meervincent New Member

talked to one of the bigger guys at my gym ive seen dl like a champ. got some pointers in person.
    the guy seemed really happy and suprised when i introduced myself. this advice worked, i had my grip and footing a bit off
    135x10
    225x5
    edit* got the advice here 245 felt like 225 :)
    245x5
    tryed for 275 but my grip failed 3 quarters of the way
    260x1

2. soccerboixyz

soccerboixyz Member

good job, 3 plates will come soon

3. knucks

knucks Active Member

In all honesty, no.

If 260 was hard as shit and your back wasn't perfect form..5lb extra is a huge difference

4. ralyks

ralyks New Member

Work up to your max with lower volume.
    ie.
    95x10
    135x5
    185x3
    225x1
    245x1
    max

5. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

how long have you been deadlifting? When I started, 250 seemed like all I could possibly put out. Then I learned how to really squeeze the bar and pull, and I got 315. Then I learned good form and worked with it and I DL 355 x 1 easy now (8 months after starting)

6. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

word... just get the blood flowing really well, don't exhaust yourself before you try.

7. nwmrkt

nwmrkt New Member

squeeze the bar? inform me. I can always learn.

8. knucks

knucks Active Member

Squeeze bar, drive heels through floor, profit?

9. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

I had a dealift pr last nite too, 275x4. Felt really good, 195x6, 225x6 then the 275x4. Now I have to buy a couple more plates, that's all the weight I have at home. :rofl:

10. Man Bear Pig

Man Bear Pig Banned

driving heels is a good thing.

11. TZ

TZ Banned

yay for deadlift pr's

12. GOGZILLA

GOGZILLA Double-Uranium Member

thats too much even for a max pull for whatever reason you guys are doing them. 95x3, 135x1, 185x1, 225x1, max if its around 270 something, if your max is closer to like 240 itd be something like 95x3, 150, 200, max

we just go plates until last attempt when you might not be able to pull the extra plate or youre going for something about 10-15lbs over a plate and you quarter instead of plate the rep before

you dudes do way too much volume for dl'ing trying for a max, but its all good you just circle jerk about it on the internet anyway

13. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

If you start the lift with a tight grip and tension already on the bar (i.e. shoulders rounded down because you are pulling the bar) you'll be able to preserve your form throughout the lift much better. That's been my experience anyway. Don't just start pulling with a loose body, have everything tight and pulling before you even get ready to get the bar off the ground.

I hope that makes sense. the way I think of it in my head before I pull is I get the bar against my shins, squeeze my grip as tight as possible, and lean back to create tension throughout my grip, back, lower back, glutes, and hamstrings. From there just look up and start pulling, don't think about shit but standing up. If I start with my muscles tensely locked into good form, it seems it stays pretty constant throughout the lift.

14. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

personally I don't think there's anything wrong with maxing out on DLs when I'm a weak bitch. It teaches how to do the movement properly and at that point I can actually start using legit weight rather than lighter weight that only feels difficult because it's being lifted with shitty form.

Personally I don't do it anymore anyway.... last week I set a 1RM PR (355 :wtc:) but I could feel I could do more, I just have no reason to... but in the beginning months it really helped me out a lot I think.

15. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

He didn't say maxing out was a bad idea. What he said was they are doing to much volume prior to maxing out.

16. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

my bad, I just took the circle jerk comment as a "weak bastards maxing out for no reason" type thing... I do think it's pointless for most people to do 1RM's if they aren't competing because there's such a high risk for injury, except in this case when people are learning how to do the movement.

17. TXLBS

TXLBS New Member

Also, when you're done maxing out, take 90% of your MAX THAT DAY, and make sure you got atleast 7-9 reps at or above that weight. You don't have to be math wizard doing this, but getting in quality reps at or above 90% will do more for you than just hitting a max and calling it a day, or moving to assistance work.

18. deznutz

deznutz New Member

Am i the only one who things ""beginners"" should not be maxing on deadlifts?
    And i am not talking about just ""beginners"" either, people should try doing reps instead of getting to 1 most likely-crappy-form rep.

19. TheProwler

TheProwler Active Member

Yeah, if I'm going to do a 1RM at the end, I'll do something like 135x5, 225x5, 315x3, 415x1.

20. meervincent

meervincent New Member

lol thanks for the info guys. for the record, i dont max more then once a month as a genral rule. gotta give it time to develop

21. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

just don't make PR threads every time your dead goes up 10 lbs and we're good

22. ralyks

ralyks New Member

Good to know. I've always done more volume before a max pull because I like getting blood in, and I never felt it fatigued the muscle.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.