Dead Video Card?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by BlueDarkAngel, Jan 10, 2003.

1. BlueDarkAngel

BlueDarkAngel New Member

I just finished moving some components from a box i had built but not used, to a newer and larger case so that i could expand my hardware options and actually begin to use the system.

However upon hooking up my moniter, mouse, keyboard, etc... and starting it up after moving the components over I get no picture on the moniter.

When the moniter is not plugged in to the computer i receive a no signal error, upon attaching it to the computer the error goes away as it should. I then start up the computer and instead of the picture showing on the screen and the power light turning green, it stays orange and nothing happens.

All else seems to be running fine from the looks/sounds of it and all cards are getting power and what not.

Anybody have any ideas as to what it could be? My initial guess is the video card is fried, as it is an nvidia 32MB card which isn't very new. It's extremly dusty and just well... old. I've tried multiple moniters and cable configurations and nothing =o(

I'm not worried if it's fried, I've got a new Asus card coming in the next couple days but i would like to use this system.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

2. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Make sure the card is REALLY seated in the slot and that the AGP clip is in.

3. BlueDarkAngel

BlueDarkAngel New Member

I've tried reseating it many times and it's still a not working. :(

Any other ideas? Anybody?

As I had said, I've got a new card coming already so I'm not worried as long as that is definatly the problem, so if anybody can think of a reason other than the vid card dying that i could check for, I'd appreciate that as well.

4. mdaniel

mdaniel S is for Shiksa

Are you getting any POST beeps? Try booting without a video card. That should give some error beeps. If not, its something else. Like maybe the ram not being seated properly. Or maybe you killed the mobo.

5. fuzzynaval

fuzzynaval Enlighten me

try using another video card if you can get your hands on one.

If you want to make sure it's not something else, pull your memory, and if should give you a series of long beeps. Put that back if you get that, because you at least know it's booting up the memory.

Pull the Video card. It should beep 4 times. If you get that, then you know it's reading your AGP slot. If you plug the card back in and get nothing, it's most likely gonna be your video card.

but the best solution...borrow a friends video card for a little bit and test it out. if you still getting the problem, try your monitor on someone elses computer. If you not getting anything after trying everything, most likely you killed your mobo or something.

6. BlueDarkAngel

BlueDarkAngel New Member

Well, i went ahead and installed another video card and that same thing happened. I tried removing the card many times and reseating it, got nothing except the agp red light would come on for like a milli-second when i would pull it out. But i wouldn't get any beeps. So i tried removing the ram, no beeps either, everything just kept running as it was.

I went ahead and checked the cpu, etc... and it always did the same thing. I ended up pulling my MB and just running power to it alone and then with and again without the video card and it still did the same thing.

I guess it's time for a new MB... :wtc: Just when i didn't want to spend more money...

7. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Perhaps the wrong type of AGP card is being used? Asus has a lil' light that will turn on if the wrong type of AGP card is put in.

8. BlueDarkAngel

BlueDarkAngel New Member

I've tried 3 cards so far and the only light i've seen from the agp light is when i remove the video card while the system is on, and it only flashes for like a millisecond.