Dead P4 or Dead Mobo?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by DatacomGuy, Jun 5, 2004.

1. DatacomGuy

DatacomGuy is moving to Canada

Have a custom built machine that I made about a year ago. Intel 2.4 P4 and Asus P4S8X mobo.

Lightning hit near our apartment complex today; I have the machine on a top-of-the-line power strip which is plugged into an APC BK650MC 650vA battery backup..

Even though I have it on the backup, the machine powered down. I turned it back on, and it booted straight to BIOS and says "Machine started in safe mode due to invalid CPU speed detected during bootup. Please reverify CPU and machine settings and reboot."

Considering I never went in and set anything, and I'm running the standard 2.4 (and not overclocking), wtf? Obviously I probably need to replace something; considering it boot to BIOS, is it just the CPU that I need to look at replacing? Or is this not the problem at all?

Help.. I need that machine.. :sad2::wtc:

2. DatacomGuy

Let me also add that the voice-guided POST/bootup says "Startup Failed due to CPU overclocking"..

Even though I've never overclocked it. So bizarre.

3. Stev

Stev Active Member

well what does the bios say about the cpu speed? are the multiplier and FSB correct?

4. DatacomGuy

BIOS say 2400 for CPU speed (which is correct), 18 for the multiplier, and I can't find the FSB, unless its the same as CPU External Freq, which is 133/33. Chip clock is set to synchronous.

Not sure what the multiplier/Freq or chip clock is supposed to be.. I've never messed with any of those items..

5. DatacomGuy

Well, bizarrely enough it works now..

I set the ext. freq from 133/33 to 166/42. Reboot, and it boot fine through bios and POST until it tried to load windows, then it said something about all the kernel DLL's being missing. I went back to BIOS and set it back to 133/33 and reboot, and here I am back on the machine again.

How freaking weird.

6. Brian

Brian New Member

wow gets me scare
    i got shit lol for power protections

but ive seen on my friends ups and stuff like taht they all have like 100k electronic warranty gurantee on them if they dont work

7. DatacomGuy

Yeah.. the ones I use have $1M connected equipment warranty.. it's the same product that I specify and engineer for large data warehouses and closets..

I don't think the lightning had anything to do with it.. I think it powered down from the power going out..and that's what caused the error. This P4S8X board is extremely touchy.. it was probably in the middle of doing something and the power going out pissed it off.. either way, works for now. :dunno:

Definitely a kick in the butt to start working on building another system!

8. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

Or buying a UPS that actualy keeps a machine on when the power goes out. :fawk:

9. DatacomGuy

:rofl::fawk: