Dead G4 Powermac HELP!

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by vurb, Aug 4, 2005.

1. vurb

vurb OT Supporter

I have one of these G4's- older 400mhz one. Running Panther.
    [​IMG]

It has worked flawlessly for 5 years. I put it to sleep last night and sometime in the night it died in its sleep. I noticed it was off this morning and went to press the power button and nogo. Nothing happens when you press the power button. No light, no sounds, no nothing. What do yall the think the problem most likely is? Pwr supply? I don't have any experience with macs breaking so I don't know where to start.. :sadwavey:

2. vurb

vurb OT Supporter

I am going to get a new battery from radio shack and then reset the PMU when I get home and take it from there. My powerbook happens to be at Apple getting a new keyboard at the moment so I have no working computers at home to use for troubleshooting. Hopefully I'll get it back today or tomorrow.

3. untoastytoast

untoastytoast The Glory Days

i would recommend calling apple for this sort of thing, that's what their customer service is for. and because you probably won't get an answer here. :o

4. vurb

vurb OT Supporter

Not at their prices. :hs: :eek3:

5. Arhida

Arhida OT Supporter

Do the battery thing. If you have a voltmeter, test the battery first. It should read 3.6V. Then reset the PMU, but just hit the button quickly.

This problem sounds exactly like a dead PRAM and PMU reset.

6. Arhida

Arhida OT Supporter

Apple will just give you a case number and tell you to bring it to a store...

7. vurb

vurb OT Supporter

I hope so, I really don't want to go replacing the Pwr Supply much less the motherboard in such an old unit. But there's stuff on there I need and I don't have another desktop to slap the HDD's into. :hs: I'll update later after the battery test and PMU reset.

8. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

9. IcyHot4Life

IcyHot4Life Str8 Ballin'

buy a firewire drive enclosure for teh win

$50 or less at compusa

10. vurb

vurb OT Supporter

OK, Got home yesterday and plugged it back in. Hit the power button and it started to fire up but died as I released the button. Pushed the button and held it and it powered up. Problem is that it randomly powers off within 10 minutes. Usually around the 7 minute mark. So I replaced the battery and reset the PMU for good measure and it's still doing the same thing. Right before it powers off it makes some kind of noise that I can't really explain, but its extremely quiet, it can only be heard if the house is completely quiet and I only notice it because I'm familiar with the sounds the computer makes. I doubt anyone else would even notice it. When it starts up the date is either set to 1904 or 1969. Anyone want to venture a guess on what it may be?

On the Apple bar, says it's full for today. What exactly goes on there? I've heard of it but never really had to look into it. Do I bring the actual system there or go to ask questions only, or?

11. vurb

vurb OT Supporter

OK. After going nuts I finally tried plugging it in in a different room....hasn't shut down since. That's right, a fucked power outlet. Figured that couldn't be it as these apts are only 2 years old. So it was the last thing I tried. :wtc:

12. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

first accessory every wise person should buy for their computers is a UPS with line conditioning. you'd be amazed the difference they can make in stability, especially on a PC that has a crappy power supply (or a mac with an aging power supply).

13. dmora

dmora Guest

i just got this today. But congrats at figuring out your bug :p