Dead CPU Fan and No Video in 5 Mins!?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Jimmy10to2, Jan 13, 2008.

1. Jimmy10to2

Jimmy10to2 New Member

I'm building a new computer. After succesfully powering it up for the first time, I turned it off, moved some of the wiring around to make things neater, and when i powered it on again, I noticed the q6600 CPU fan not moving.

I tried unplugging the fan and, pluggin it back in, but that didn't do anything. I have to plug it directly into the mobo, I can't bypass it and go straight to the PS. After remove various peripherals and powering the computer on and off, and getting no where, I'm now getting no video display along with my standstill CPU fan. I have a geforce 8800gt, and the video card fan spins, but no display. I tried the montior on another computer and it worked fine. I get no bios beep codes, and I also reset the mobo to no avail.:wtc:

2. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

Can you clear this part up?

"I tried unplugging the fan and, pluggin it back in, but that didn't do anything. I have to plug it directly into the mobo, I can't bypass it and go straight to the PS"

Does that mean that the fan runs if you plug it into the motherboard?

Because the cpu fan is supposed to be plugged in there.

3. Jimmy10to2

Jimmy10to2 New Member

No, the fan doesn't run at all. I think that some cpu fans can be plugged into the mobo with or wihout an adapter, so I just thought I'd mention that I can't do that so someone doesn't suggest it. So yea, I can only have the cpu plugged into the mobo (4 pin).

4. Doc Brown

The Intel cpu's are specifically intended to be plugged into the motherboard.

So did you check to see if the fan wire is by chance touching the fan area?
    That's fairly common with those cpu's, and it would keep it from spinning.

So am I getting it right that you had the computer up and running at one point?

5. Doc Brown

What motherboard, memory, power supply and hard drive are you running?

6. Jimmy10to2

Jimmy10to2 New Member

Yep, at first it wasn't starting up at all, but I found out it was just due to the ram not being seated properly. Fixed that and things were booting up beautifully. I shut 'er down to put a keyboard in (haha forgot that), rearrange the wires and I think that's all I did. When I went to start it up again, I noticed a funny smell and saw the CPU fan wasn't spinning. I had it on for about 30 seconds before I abruptly shut it down. I tried repluggint the fan and other peripherals just cause I was desperate, but nothing would get that fan spinning again. Then I noticed I was no longer getting any display even though the video card fan spins...

Mobo: ASUS P5K-E/WIFI-AP
    Video: Galaxy GeForce 8800GT
    CPU: Intel Quad Q6600
    RAM: OCZ Platinum XTC REV.2 PC2-6400 2GB 2X1GB DDR2-800
    PSU: Antec Truepower Trio 650W Power Supply ATX12V V2.0
    HD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.11

7. Doc Brown

Fuck, that sucks. Pretty excellent parts, too.

Are you using a usb keyboard? If so, check to see that the usb plug didn't go in funny into the usb connector on the computer.

I'm wondering if you caused something to short when you were moving the wires around.

Pull the wires back into the open one at a time, and see if maybe a piece of bare wire, or maybe a component is grounding out to a wire, etc...

8. Doc Brown

Another thing that can happen (I learned this the hard way!), is that if the sata power connector can go in at an angle, it can cause a meltdown of the wire traces on the hard drive connector.

9. Jimmy10to2

Jimmy10to2 New Member

I pulled all lose wires out of the case. Only things I have connected right now is PSU to mobo, and HD. When I turn the computer on, the mobo light comes on, and I can hear the HD working, but nothing else seems to happen.

The CPU Fan has a 4-pin connector, and I'm wondering if I can test it out on my older HP computer, it has an AMD chipset and 3 pin connector on the mobo. Should I try it on there?

The thing that upsets me is I was careful not to create any static, I would touch a water tap prior to working on the computer if I had left for a bit, and I worked on a anti-static mat.

EDIT:
    oh and I also have one 1 GB stick of ram inserted, as well as the video card seated. I've tried seating the video card in the other slot, and didn't make a diff.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2008
  10. Doc Brown

Trying the fan on the amd build won't hurt. If it spins there, it will tell you something for sure.

11. Doc Brown

Also, you need to spend some time carefully examining the cables that you had moved around, as well as the areas where they were laying.

And speaking of the psu cables, did you have the 4-pin psu/cpu cable plugged into the motherboard near the cpu?

12. Jimmy10to2

Jimmy10to2 New Member

btw, thanks for your help here. I appreciate it.

CPU fan worked perfectly fine in the other board. I wish I could try my old video card in my new build or the new geforce 8800gt in my old computer, but I can't do either cause the mobo in the old computer doesn't have a pci-e slot, and the mobo in my new computer doesn't have the proper AGP slot for my old video card.

Do you think the mobo might be fried?

EDIT:
    The old cables were just resting in the vacant 5.25'' bay area.

Yes, it's actually 8 pin for my setup though.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2008
  13. Doc Brown

It could be that or the psu. But it was running before you moved the wires around and plugged the keyboard in.
    For the time being, I would concentrate my attention on the areas that were moved.
    Think of all the things that could have been effected by moving things.
    Maybe you bumped the 24 pin plug, or maybe bent a capacitor over too far...

Anything like that, could be the culprit.

14. Doc Brown

I just saw the edit.

The 5.25 bays are not perfectly secure. If the pins inside of one of the old style 4-pin molex hard drive connector were to touch any part of the edge of the case and short out, you would have some trouble on your hands.

15. Jimmy10to2

Jimmy10to2 New Member

I reinserted the cpu and fan/heatsink, and the fan still wouldn't turn. So for fun, I plugged it into one of the case fan plugs on the mobo, and it started spinning. I plugged a case fan into the cpu plug, and the fan didn't spin.

So now I've figured out the problem with the cpu fan is the mobo, but now wtf is going on with the video card... Tried it 2 diff pci-e slots, the fan spins, but no display. I'm using an old crt monitor just for testing, I tried the monitor on another computer, and it works fine.

16. Doc Brown

You haven't mentioned whether you tried to check out the points where you moved stuff, or if a connector might have shorted, etc.

It's not likely that this happened by coincidence.

You really need to check that out. I would be looking at each lead coming from the power supply, and it wouldn't hurt to get your nose in there to see if you can maybe tell whether there is any burned smell coming from a particular location.

17. Jimmy10to2

Jimmy10to2 New Member

How would I check this? There aren't any busted capacitators or weird burnt markings on the mobo.. I'm not toos ure what I'm supposed to look for.

18. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Did you try manually spinning the fan? Does it spin easier in one direction than the other, when the computer is on?

19. Doc Brown

I mean literally get your nose in there and sniff around. You might be surprised
    at what you can figure out.

In a case like that, I would try to see if I smelled anything burnt along each cable that I moved.
    You might even be able to get the cardboard tube from a roll of paper towels, and put it over one area at a time and take a sniff.

You mentioned a funny smell, and that's what you need to find the source of.

If it's the power supply, you should smell something from the rear of the case vent.

Pull the motherboard out if you have to and put it right up next to your nose.

You do not want to start replacing parts without knowing what fried.

20. deusexaethera

I think he's done enough diagnostic work to send the board back for replacement. There's no reason why the fan should work on one power socket and not on another on the same board.

As for why the computer won't show anything onscreen, some boards have a "feature" where they won't boot up unless they detect a properly-functioning fan plugged into the CPU fan power socket. The only way to disable the "feature" is to plug a fan into the socket long enough to boot up and change the setting in the BIOS, which he can't do because his CPU fan power socket is fucked up.

Time to RMA the bitch.

- - -

On another note, winter is THE WORST time of year to build a computer. There's almost never enough humidity in the air to keep you from zapping something important in the process of assembling your new Christmas present.

21. Doc Brown

Yeah the motherboard needs rma'd. But why?

I think he needs to know what burnt first. What happens if it's the psu and he puts another board in there and it does this again?

Or what if the motherboard is shorting out somehow?

22. deusexaethera

I agree, it would be a good idea to examine everything in the case, but to do that he has to pull it all out anyway, so he might as well go ahead and yank all the parts and send the motherboard back while he looks to see if something else caused the problem. No sense wasting valuable turnaround time.

23. Doc Brown

Meanwhile, I am a big fan of Antec, but I would be going over that psu with a fine tooth comb.

24. deusexaethera

Factory defects are always a possibility. A loose wire here, an extra glob of solder there...