DDR2 RAM advice.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by negative zero, Oct 10, 2009.

1. negative zero

negative zero New Member

Need to get some DDR2 RAM> Im having issue with my Crucial Ballistix (800MHz). What's a good stable replacement and is there any significant performance increase if I go up to 1066, etc?

2. SeeVinceRun

SeeVinceRun Currently In Prison OT Supporter

What kind of issues are you having? I have used a lot of G.Skill and A-Data, both seem fine to me.

It probably wouldnt be worth going to 1066, the gain isnt going to be significant.

3. CodeX

CodeX Guest

Does your motherboard support 1066? Also, you will have to replace all of your 800mhz sticks, memory will operate at the speed of the slowest module.

But yeah, there will be a difference in performance, whether it is noticeable depends on what you use your computer. Also, the person above me just recommended cheap shit memory... I would avoid it. Go with corsair, crucial, kingston, OCZ, etc.

4. negative zero

negative zero New Member

I'm having occasional reboots/memory dumps. I ran memtest and got about 80 errors in 20 seconds or so. I will replace all of them.

As far as what I use my computer for, just surfing the web and email mostly. I have been playing COD World at War and will buy MW2. Encoding DVD's, etc a little.

Any specific links?

5. SeeVinceRun

SeeVinceRun Currently In Prison OT Supporter

Ram elitists now? Awesome.

G.Skill is always well reviewed, not terribly over priced and usually has great timings.

A-Data doesnt have the timings of some of the more expensive brands, but ive never had a bad stick, ive never had any issues getting solid overclocks from them, and ive never had any compatibility issues either. Also, I beleive A-Data holds (or held) the record for highest DDR3 overclock.

6. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

I'd go with Kingston... I've had the best luck with them... they also do advanced replacements if there are any problems.

7. OniMinion

OniMinion ...recalls when this forum was actually about cars OT Supporter

Micron
    Kingston
    Crucial
    OCZ

These seem to work the best in most builds that have come across me.

You will need to look at your MoBo and Processor (if you have to clock 1066 using BIOS) to see if they support it.