DDR vs DDR2

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by TekDragon, May 2, 2006.

1. TekDragon

TekDragon Guest

I tried finding some info on this as I wanted to see if things had changed since 2004 and 2005 when the general concensus was that regular DDR is superior to DDR2 due to latency. Unfortunately, I couldn't find any recent articles, just a bunch of stuff from mid last year or earlier.

Any have any information?

I'm planning on building a new PC come next winter when Vista gets released. Athlon dual core, SLI GPU's, maybe even a physics unit. So if you have info on what WILL be the case between DDR and DDR2 in the next months, that would be helpful as well.

2. Mac

Mac It varies from season to season, kid. OT Supporter

technically, they run at the same speed...so buy whichever is cheaper. at this point u wont get much of a speed boost with DDR2. Btw, you're really going overboard with yer specs...save yer frickin money..

3. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

You can't pick and choose. DDR and DDR2 have different sockets; you're stuck using whichever one your motherboard supports.

DDR has faster access speed and slower transfer speed. DDR2 has slower access speed and faster transfer speed. Frankly, I'm not sure why they made DDR2 with slower access speed; the only thing I can think of is that the designers assumed faster motherboard clock speeds would counteract DDR2's bigger number of clock ticks between data request and data delivery.

4. TekDragon

TekDragon Guest

Athlon X2 dual core is running at just above $300. For the SLI cards i'd only get one now and get the second when I needed a boost.

I hardly see how that is overboard.

5. chips

chips ...

With the next gen of AMD procs/chipsets they will be DDR2

6. Pet3R

Pet3R Active Member

Higher latency is a trade-off when you have higher speeds on the DDR2. Just the way it works.

7. Aimless

Aimless Resident drunkey

The last benchmarks I saw still had DDR2 outperforming DDR even with the higher latency.