DDR vs. DDR2

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by SugarCoatedSour, Nov 7, 2004.

1. SugarCoatedSour

SugarCoatedSour OT Supporter

Most recently, I've been reading negative opinions about DDR2 ram in comparison to DDR ram. And I've read that the timings for DDR3 will be good as DDR, but also have some of the good aspects that DDR2 have to offer that DDR does not.

Can anyone give me a little insight on the differences between DDR and DDR2, and why DDR2 has been getting flack?

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

DDR2 is crap... there is NO reason to go with DDR2 when you could choose DDR.

DDR has a much lower latencies, that even higher-fsb ddr2 (533mhz) cannot make up for.

3. JordanClarkson

JordanClarkson OT Supporter

The whole point of DDR2 was to increase the speed. Originally it was intended to compete against RDRAM, which had fast speed but high latency and a narrow bus width. Due to the way it is designed, it is not possible to have low latency DDR2. Another problem was in order to get much higher speeds, voltage had to be raised back up to 2.5v. So while DDR2 addresses the problems of DDR1, it achieved weak points that DDR1 was strong in. DDR3 is what DDR2 should have been. It uses less power and runs much more stable. Another benefit is that it reads and writes data much faster due to its design. However, it's still not a significant improvement over what DDR was hyped up to be.

4. SL1200MK4

SL1200MK4 New Member

:werd: and there are people who believe that newer is better. :wtc:

The promise of DDR is higher bandwidth without higher clockspeed. Havn't seen that at this point.

5. plat

plat New Member

gddr2 runs at 2.5v, ddr2 for PC's runs at 1.8v.