DD any car that can compete with G35 Sedan?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Mike00, Feb 27, 2008.

1. Mike00

Mike00 New Member

I'm looking to get into a new car as I can't handle a stick anymore for the drive to and from work it's killing my knee.

I've been looking at new fully loaded G35 Sedan among a few others and I just can't see any car relatively similiar in price (give or take 5 or 6 grand) out there that can compete with G35 as far as comfort and luxury.

Any car out there that I'm missing? Driven the TL quite a bit and I am
    planning on test driving a Maxima and Lexus GS (not sure GS is justifiable at the price increase).

Any other cars out there I should take a look at?

2. LA02MAX

LA02MAX New Member

Well if you get a new maxima over a G35, you're a dumbass so don't even test drive it. lol. It's not a very good car.

IMO the G35's natural competitors are the 335i and the IS350. They're both more costly than the G35 so you won't get as many options.

3. uwofrost

uwofrost New Denver Crew

I rode in a G8 and was impressed. if its loaded it might be worth looking at.

4. Mike00

Mike00 New Member

Ehh I don't mind going higher. Thats why I'm going to test drive the Lexus GS. But I just don't see it being worth 9grand more. The 335XI is a car I will test drive but I don't particularly love beamers and I feel like it's a bit overpriced. Also going to take a look at IS350 but I feel like it's lacking compared to G35.

Shrug I guess test drives will tell but it just seems odd that currently G35 seems to give you the most bang for you buck. Hell the Lexus GS only seems to have ventilated seats and the lexus name over the g35.

5. LA02MAX

LA02MAX New Member

yeah for a fully loaded 335i, you'll be paying $10k+ more than the G35. I think the IS350 fully loaded is in the high $40's. No doubt the G35 is a great value but it really depends on what you want. The 335i is fast, the IS350 is comfortable, and the G35 is kinda in between.

6. LA02MAX

LA02MAX New Member

Yeah that's also a great option, but it doesn't come with as many options as any of the cars listed, and I think that's what the OP wants. If I were looking at a new car, it would either be a base G35 6-speed or the G8.

7. Mike00

Mike00 New Member

Yah I took a glance at the G8 and I have to say many American cars are really coming along in the luxury area.

Somebody pointed out the new TL-S comes in auto so I'm actually going to take a look at that.

Yah at this point I'm really just looking for a luxury ride with a decent bit of sport to ala TL or G35AWD.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2008
  8. art_VW_shark

art_VW_shark OT Supporter

i'd tell ANYONE who's looking at like a 06/07 first gen G35 sedan to give a same year VW Passat 3.6 4mo a test drive. it's quicker than A/T G35x's, is a bit bigger I believe, and is in general a nice solid car. my dad has one. I wish the steering wasn't as vague, but it handles well and is very solid.

9. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

Check out the new CTS as well. It's similar in price to the Infiniti but somewhat bigger and more luxury-oriented (that is, it's a 5-series kind of car at 3-series prices)

10. uwofrost

uwofrost New Denver Crew

What is the $ range your looking for? Acura is comming out with basically all new car line this year. the TL RL TSX all redesigned.... new 09 TL is like 36k loaded

11. uwofrost

uwofrost New Denver Crew

Im not too high on VWs if you plan to have them past 50k mi ... up keep is too much.

12. Mike00

Mike00 New Member

Realistically I'd prefer to stay between 35-40k for the car. But if the car just is that much nicer/more luxurious and I like it that much more I really could go as high as 50k (I can't see myself spending more although I guess I could).

Realistically I'm getting ready to pay off 750 dollars a month in loans this month and I got more then that in a raise so I figured it's time for a new car.

If you can convince me there's a car out there worth looking at under 55k out the door I'm more then for it but where I'm struggling is the fact that some of the cars in the next class (lexus gs 350, acura rl etc.) just don't seem to be worth the extra cost over the cars below them like the TL-S.

Oh I second the VW statement also just not up my alley at all. Heck I even give little thought to BMW because they just have rediculous upkeep in the end. And Oil change out of warranty is like 180 at the dealer I think? Rediculous.

Anyway I think I may start hitting the dealerships this weekend and test driving a few cars.

13. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

The G35 is very nice, but I find that exhaust note to be annoying. I know it's characteristic of the engine/car... but I just don't care for it. I would probably end up with a TL, despite the fwd :hs:

14. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Vague steering on a VW? I guess the PQ46 really is Camrified now. Oh well.

Consider a >> Mazda 6 5-door << with paddle shifters. Yeah, it's an automatic, but that doesn't make a hell of a lot of difference anymore, except you can't skip gears. It's nice to be able to shift the car yourself when you want, or let the infernal contraptions play with themselves when you're too tired to care.

15. art_VW_shark

it's much number (more numb?) than our b5's. it handles well no doubt, and is quick, but yea the feeling isn't the same.

how the fuck can you begin to suggest a mazda6 in response to a G35? :rofl:

16. Mike00

Mike00 New Member

Sort of agree here Mazda6 is without a doubt a category down from the TL and G35. Especially when you consider the fact that I'm consideirng the next class up ala RL and Lexus gs 350.

17. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Because I like Mazda. Have you been in a 6 lately? They're not much different from a TL, and they cost a metric shit-ton less. The V6 has plenty of power for a FWD.

If he's aiming higher than a G35, though, then yeah, he'll have to go with a different brand. I don't have much use for cars that cost that much, though -- too much to lose when you drive it off the lot.

18. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

:rofl: the mazda6 is a shitbox compared to the TL/G35/RL/BMW/IS350/etc that he's looking at.

The mazda6 is something you bring up in a "Camry, Accord, or Altima" conversation. And even then, although "Mazda6" would be discussed, it would not be the answer... Accord would.

Now that we're talking about G35/TL/etc... I vote TL. Although M45 trumps them all... It's a wee-bit more than what you likely want to spend.

I'd also throw in Caddy CTS if you don't mind a bit smaller.

19. huntz0r

huntz0r New Member

Definitely consider a CTS if you are looking at those and you're as flexible on price as you say. Oddly, it seems you have to totally pimp it out with every luxury option if you want sat-nav. However, all that in the 304hp model comes in around $43k, which is less than the starting price of the GS and RL. And by all accounts the Caddy is nearly if not just as well-built, polished, and engaging to drive as a 5-er.

20. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I have not driven one, but I'm sure it's a blast. I have spent a lot of time examining one at the LA Auto Show and I was VERY VERY VERY impressed with the comfort and apparant quality of the interior and fit of the body panels.

I'm fairly confident GM has made a great product that will hold it's own against Acura/Lexus/BMW/Merc/etc.

21. art_VW_shark

it's not on the same level of refined as a TL> that said, the Mazda6 is nice, I won't deny that.

22. 04JETTA

04JETTA OT Supporter

23. Mike00

Mike00 New Member

I guess I'll have to go take a look at it I have to admit they are very sharp looking cars.

The biggest thing about the Caddy for me is that I'd be paying a bit more for the AWD. I'm hesitant to get a RWD car simply because of the fact that while we don't typically get a lot of SNOW here in philadelphia area we do get some.

Well I'm planning on hitting Infiniti, Acura, and I think a caddy dealer this weekend and maybe a Lexus dealer. Maybe test drives will let me eliminate some cars.

I appreciate everybody's input. Car market is just so different from when I was last in it. Then again I guess also am looking at spending almost double or more then last time.

24. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

agreed...the G35 is a great car but i'd take the TL over it any day. If I had the money between the TL and RL, i'd definitely get the RL. it is more than the TL but I feel it is a very justifiable purchase. Definitely consider it.

25. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I feel the opposite. I helped my mother purchase an MDX, and I looked at a TL and RL while we were at the dealership... I felt the TL was exteremly nice, and was actually a good value. The RL didn't really seem like it gave you much more, yet it was a fuckton more money.

Given those two I think the TL is excellent for it's class. The RL is at the bottom of it's class. I'd MUCH MUCH rather have a M45 over an RL. Or even a S-series Merc.