COMIC DC guy ... attempting to get into Marvel

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by gts24, Feb 27, 2008.

1. gts24

gts24 hurfdurf OT Supporter

OK I'm fairly sure this isn't too common an issue. I have been into DC my whole life, never really looked over the fence at Marvel. In any case I'm currently reading Astonishing X-men and I love it.

Honestly Marvel killed any enthusiasm I had for their lineup with the Civil War series. I'm sorry but IMO the ending was such a worthless POS I sat there and went :ugh::ugh: I just wasted all this time to see Cap give the fuck up at the end? I also couldn't understand the hype behind the series in general, frankly it just seemed after awhile that they were really reaching with the reasons why anyone thought registration was a good idea....

OK... so now that I'm done with that rant, I've been looking to pickup the following:
    1. I'm into Astonishing X-men , no turning back , but I hear Whedon is leaving? :(
    2. X-force (I like getting in on the 1st issues of comics) looks interesting
    3. Captain America <--this I think I need the most help on. I know Cap died right? Where do I start to get that whole story and get it correctly?

thanks!

edit (posted this in another thread, may as well be posted here)
    My sub list right now:
    Batman
    Detective
    Robin
    Nightwing
    Green Lantern
    Green Lantern Corps
    The Circle
    Invincible
    Booster Gold
    The End League

Obviously I read alot of crap outside of my sub list, but thats the list so far.

2. axio

axio New Member

Read Captain America from #1 to really get a grasp of wtf is going on. Cap's death and Bucky becoming Cap makes more sense if you read it from #1.

I'd pick up Iron Fist also, amazing comic

Last edited: Feb 27, 2008
  3. Gauntlet04

Gauntlet04 The Light

I would say Cable and Deadpool alas issue #50 was the last of that (Good bye old friend, I shall miss you :wtc: )

Check out Maxx Marvel's Punisher. It's fucking awesome.

I would say Spider-Man but since it's 3 times a month so it's kinda :greddy: but hopefully it gets better (Shame they stopped Friendly Neighborhood and Sensational I liked those better than ASM)

4. gts24

gts24 hurfdurf OT Supporter

Comic shop I went to yesterday had 2 dollar Tuesdays and they had Cap 26 and up so I grabbed it. Think that would be enough or should I just get the trades or e-copies and read from 1?

5. axio

axio New Member

I'd start from #1 - I feel they are worth purchasing, but if you want to read them in CBR format just to catch up thats fine also. They retconned so much about Bucky that the comic is a bit confusing over why Bucky became Cap, etc now without that back history.

6. Gauntlet04

Gauntlet04 The Light

This is true, or pick up Captain America starting at the Civil War tie ins and your good. The back story for Bucky could always be wikipedia'd.

Man hard to believe Steve's been gone for a year now :wtc:

7. void

void oh yeah?

amazon..com has the cap omnibus that collects 1-25 for $50, its normally $75. Buy it. Cap is amazing.

8. pojoWRX

pojoWRX comics, indie hip-hop, home theater, Subie and dad

I second Captain America as well, it's my current favorite Marvel book. Fantastic 4 554 Is a pretty good jumping on point too if you are in to those guys.