DB Admins would you.....

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by zeke676, Feb 23, 2009.

1. zeke676

zeke676 New Member

mirror a database that you use for customer transactions into a personalized database where you can manipulate the data where you see fit? Sorry if the question is dumb or sounds weird but the DBA at my company wants to take a MS SQL Database and basically mirror it to another server with MS SQL so he can manipulate the data. I have never heard of it before and I wanted to know what other DBAs thought about it.

2. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

we do it all the time. if someone needs the data and wants to do whatever to it, why do it on the production/primary db when one can just do the same to another copy.

this is essentially what some of our qa/dev db's are. dumps of the production data.

3. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

All our test databases for system upgrades and what not are just copies of the live data.

4. SLED

SLED build an idiot proof device and someone else will

All of our databases that are used for (not so bleeding edge data) reporting, are run from a mirror. With MS SQL Server, look into replication if you need to keep the data up to date. Otherwise, just take a backup and restore it somewhere

5. trouphaz

trouphaz New Member

what is his point for doing it and where do you fit into the equation? are you a sys admin? if it was me, i wouldn't just do anything like that because a dba said he wanted to manipulate the data. on the other hand, we have 1 production database that we replicate out to 2 other reporting databases.

by the way, you should also be considerate of the data that you are replicating. if these customer transactions have personal data in it, i'd be very skeptical about just creating another database so this dba can do whatever he wants with it.

6. ChosenGSR

ChosenGSR Mama always said you'd be the chosen one

This is absolutely common practice for ad-hoc stuff (otherwise periodic replication as some has mentioned). If someone asks you to do some research on a live db you take a backup and restore it in development somewhere to poke around. I've seen what happens when a delete statement accidentally gets executed on a production financial database in a large company, heads roll quickly :)

7. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

If you need current data with what you're doing, replication sure beats a custom backup/restore solution... which is all that most replication is anyway.