GUN Daycare center offers toy gun by back program...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by twistid, Nov 3, 2006.

1. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

http://www.ksn.com/news/local/4554586.html

Daycare center offers toy gun buy back program
    WICHITA, Kansas, Nov 02, 2006 -- Is it a source of violence or just a toy? Some says that simply playing with a toy gun desensitizes children to the dangers of weapons. Now a Wichita daycare wants toddlers to turn in those toys.

It’s a message that has reached millions of children -- "Stop, Don’t touch, Leave the area and tell an adult" -- and now it is reaching more in Wichita. For nearly a decade, the Eddie Eagle program has taught children what do if they find a gun and for nearly a decade, it has worked.

For the kids at WSU’s Child Development Center, learning what to do can be fun. But for the adults, they know it could be a matter of life and death.

"Kids are going to be inventive, and the really smart kids are going to find a way of getting to it," said Sgt. Loren Huckstadt, Wichita State University Police Department.

That’s why the Wichita State University Child Development Center is taking their gun safety a little further, not only teaching about real weapons but their plastic counterparts as well.

"From a young age, they need to learn that it is not a toy and that it can cause harm and it can cause damage," said Laurie Spence, director, Child Development Center.

The center is sponsoring a toy gun buy back. For every toy gun a child drops off, they are rewarded with a gift certificate -- a way of teaching them that there is no such thing as a toy gun.

But not everyone is applauding this first of a kind effort in Wichita. In fact, while Kansas Senator Phil Journey welcomes the gun safety program, he tells KSN News the toy buyback misrepresents the toy objects as bad. He argues it’s the people that use them that can be good or bad, adding, "why don’t they make the kids afraid of toys cars?"

But for the teachers at this daycare, they know just how impressionable a young mind can be and they don’t want to take chances.

"It’s just about the kids and keeping the kids safe," said Spence.

The center has received overwhelming support from parents with a lot of toy guns being dropped off. They say they will turn the toy gun buy back into an annual event.

2. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

Yeah, the demonization of firearms is really important to the kids' saftey. Way to instill a fear of firearms into kids. I can't imagine how freightened one of them has to be at the idea of a gun knowing that even their toys aren't safe anymore because they're so evil.

3. Mr. Nice Guy

Mr. Nice Guy New Member

That's Kansass for you.

4. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

I do not like being this angry this early in the morning. It would funny if it didn't have an impact on the opinion of these children later in life. If you are going to do a gun buyback in class then they should do the other side of the issue take the kids to the range or something.

5. Alphaeus

Alphaeus New Member

6. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

"It’s just about the kids and keeping the kids safe," said Spence.

:hay:

7. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

i've never been this embrassed to be from kansas, and just when we were starting to shed some of our backwardassness. :o

8. Aequitas

Aequitas If it keeps on raining, levee's going to break.

Are there really toy guns anymore? Any toy guns I've ever seen are usually bright orange or purple, and those are few and far between. I can remember back in the day when Toys R Us had an entire gun aisle.:wtc: I hope the kids turn in broken cap guns and use the gift certificates to get new ones.

9. BigBadJohn

BigBadJohn Pay-back time OT Supporter

These peolpe are at an all time high of gay that could only be rivaled by Bryanboy.
    They most probably didnt even get permission from the parents before they did this. If I had a kid there, Id take him out. They think they have the sumpreme ruling on what these kids are going to think for the rest of their lives. They are seriously fucking with little kids minds.
    Something that I think the parents should have control over.

And if we had a LEO come in and teach the kids proper gun handling and that they should never under any circumstances point a gun at anyone unless it is to save someones life or your own property, they would try to take away licenses or shut it down entirely and call us gun nuts. But thats what really happens is they become afraid of guns and told that they can be used to kill alot of people, leaving the impression on the messed up one that likes to torture animals that he can use one to get revenge. And that everyone will be too much of apussy to do something.

This world will wreak of vagina one day.

10. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

For a very short while though, because that's when the assholes are going to take over.

11. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

I need to run down, raid the toys for tots barrels get all the busted toy guns out and go get me some gift certificates so I can go back out and buy those kids some GOOD toy guns.

12. BigBadJohn

BigBadJohn Pay-back time OT Supporter

Start up toy gun drive
    Turn into daycare for certificates
    Buy some new toy guns, donate to toys for tots
    Call local papers
    ??

Profit

13. Accord

Accord New Member

Fucking idiots.