SRS Day Two of No Smokes...This Sucks. Give me some tips to fight the urges.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TarponHarley, Jul 7, 2004.

1. TarponHarley

TarponHarley Guest

I have a can of dip that I have been using to help subside the nicotine cravings that I get after I get off work.I don't take big rodeo dips just a little one to help wein the nicotine out of my system. What tips can you offer that will help me fight off the urge to deeply inhale a nice long drag of a Winston after a nice meal or while drinking. Thanks.

2. milatobo

milatobo Guest

Wow.......Good luck with that, man.
    Ive been trying to quit for two months now. The dip is helping, but not much. Clean out your car, throw away lighters (unless there is another form of smoking thats part of your life as well) and drink a HELL of alot of water.
    Pray about it too man....it helps.
    Peace

3. percent

percent deluded

pick up a different hobby to fill the time you used to smoke. materbate, drink alcohol, make fun of children, whatever works for you. But seriously,do something to take you mind off it.

4. Leaden Grudge

Leaden Grudge OT Supporter

My father quit smoking, now he chews gum like a mad man. I guess it must help something, he goes through a pack or so a day.

5. Killgunner

Killgunner Guest

uh I like the masturbate plan

6. mestizo

mestizo New Member

I dunno about you... I've been smoking for two years and cigarettes is nothing really physical for me. I can quit smoking for a week no problem. Its the mantal addiction that gets to me... I have to have something in my mouth... or just do something. Chewing toothpicks helped me for a while, but I started going thru BOXES every few days.

GOOD LUCK man!

7. Juggernaut

Juggernaut Guest

excercise is THE KEY!! :wiggle:

8. butuh

butuh New Member

I gave up smoking cigs a few years ago and picked up cigars. I'll never go back.

9. jumpinmp

jumpinmp New Member

I'm not sure if chewing tobacco is a good way to ditch smoking.. you're basically giving up one habit for another. I decided 2 days ago I was going to quit using chew... nicotine is nicotine and habits are habits.. it's a pretty tough nut to crack.. basically been chewing gum, drinking lots of water and eating sunflower seeds.

10. CHIZZO

CHIZZO New Member

I have not smoked (except for when drinking a lot) in over a month now and i smoked for over 16 years. i am using the patch at this time and it helps with the nicotine part but the mental issue is a bit harder.
    the best advice i can give you is after meals eat a mint to get the taste of food out of your mouth. When you get the urge to smoke at other times inhale a deep breath slowly like you are taking a drag, hold it for 3 seconds and exhale slowly just like you would be blowing out the smoke.
    they say that the expanding of your lungs will give you a relaxing feeling and it has worked for me.
    when you drink i can not help there, but just because you slip does not mean to give up. I still smoke a little when i drink but i do not buy a pack. I will just get one from someone around me but the next day i just say i was drinking and i am going to keep on going without smoking.
    the urges will subside in 1 to 3 minutes so just remember that the urge will pass
    The majority of people i have talked to say they still get the urge everyday but they just think of something else and it subsides shortly after.
    i have quit smoking a thousand times but once you get your mind set you can do anything you want.
    btw cold turkey is the absolute hardest way to quit.

go to the store and buy the cheapest patch out there. they are all pretty much the same or go to a doctor and they can prescribe welbutrin(sp?) to help also.
    my friend used both for overa year and still uses welbutrin(sp?) to this day.
    good luck to you all.

11. 1_fAsT_bUnNy

1_fAsT_bUnNy Guest

I don't think there is any advice for not smokin while drankin, Sorry bro.

12. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

If you go jogging , your body is morely likely to protest against the cigarettes, because you need to be able to breath in a proper manner while doing that excersise. Find a replacement chew gum, and maby your local drug store has nicorette plasters, which allows you to build off the desire for nicotine in small steps.

13. boscorrosive

boscorrosive New Member

I quit about 6 months ago. Try chewing a cinnamon stick.

14. sunflower seeds. jalapeno nacho.

15. Penny1484

Penny1484 cute but kind of evil

i wouldnt suggest replacing nicotine with alcohol. you dont want to replace one addiction wiht another. get into yoga, or something physical. it will help you not want to smoke because you will want to stop being winded. Good luck!:x:

16. midden

midden New Member

i dont recommend the nicoderm gum...back to, replace one habit with another. you can do it without it.

17. CaTaToNiK

CaTaToNiK Guest

well if you fail switch to another brand as winwstons suck. but if youre quitting for real, chew gum, and occupy yourself with whatever you can. also put youre money in a place wheres its hard to use for smokes or just have bigger bills or something, so youre not tempted to waste the $10, 5$ or whatever for a pack

18. TopGun113

TopGun113 Winning

go buy a pack of camel nonfilters. smoke all of them, one after another, as quickly as you can, with no breaks. you'll be so sick afterwards that you won't want to smoke again for a while.

disclaimer: i never tried this, but it seems like it would work

19. nukegoat

nukegoat New Member

:rofl: wouldn't help me... i chain smoked a TON of cigs once and it took like 24 hours and i was more than ready for another

20. MTsoul4evr

MTsoul4evr New Member

...i smoked a pack a day for 5 years... im on my fourth day of quitting, and my only advice for you would be to throw out the dip...cold turkey is the only way to go, and stay active, when you start feeling like you NEED a cigarette, clean, take a bath, eat, anything

21. Josepi

Josepi HA HA, I CHANGED MY AV

Just think of how much if stinks...and if you doubt that, take a bowl, find a few butts, fill the bowl halfway with warm water, stir up the butts and smell... :ugh:

22. 3-5soul

3-5soul Guest

man
    quitting smoking sucks, i've heard quitting heroin is easier...
    i've quit multiple times and always come right back
    my suggestion is try toothpicks, they really helped me while i was at work, or in class.
    also, if you don't already, start working out and running, it will get your lungs feeling alot better and you will start noticing a difference and won't want to smoke hopefully.
    also, try to occupy your time with things that keep you busy and won't make you want to smoke.
    i know drinking is fucking hard as hell to not smoke with,i actually quit going out drinking for a few weeks until i felt it was out of my system and not being around people who smoked helped a great deal also.
    the thing that sucks is that after i quit, months later, i still had cravings and would kill for just one hit of a newport and i could feel my mouth salivate and my teeth would clench.
    also, not being able to smoke while driving also sucked.
    needless to say, i smoke again now, my wife got me started back on it once we started dating :wtc:
    sucks,i was in the best shape of my life and running 3 miles a day plus working out and running sprints with all of that and i was working on getting hired by a police department. a knee injury actually caused me to give that up and stop running and working out but just recently,i've been starting to run again and i'm looking forward to working out, i've also got a tendon tear in my ankle and i haven't let that slow me down.
    well shit, this went off base, i'm sorry
    good luck and much props
    don't give in

23. Mr_Kipling

Mr_Kipling Guest

I managed to quit for six months once. Chug loads of water and go running.

24. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

Yeah I just had this weird revelation to quit 2 nights ago. I could'nt breath well, I hadn't eaten much all day, and I felt like shit from smoking a bunch of cig's. I decided it was time, and wrote myself a letter/list of all the reasons to quit. I keep it in my wallet now. I bought some gum, I'm going to buy some straws today to chew on. I'm also going to get a hold of some nicotine gum/patches from this tobacco treatment program. You also go to a meeting once a week where you see people who have mouth/lung cancer who are trying to quit, hopefully should make me remember why I want to quit. This time wasn't really planned, it just felt like it was time for some reason, I'm hoping it will be successful because of this. It already feels easier than my previous attempt at quitting.

25. blindarrow

blindarrow New Member

Last time I quit (a month or so), my main problem was mental. I wanted something in my mouth, so I chewed alot of gum, toothpicks, straws, etc ...

I live in a place with 4 other smokers, so sometimes it got rough. I'd smoke a cig once or twice a week ... never let it get me down though.

I'm back to smoking now ... I work in a restaurant (where EVERYBODY smokes, including the managers), so environment is part of it ...

One of these days I'll (hopefully) be able to quit for good.