SRS Day 3 of no smoking

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by nukegoat, Sep 8, 2006.

1. nukegoat

nukegoat New Member

It just "sort of" sucks. I am trying lots of various methods with the exception of nicotine replacement which I really don't feel like I need based on how much I smoked (probably 6 or 7 lights a day). I am mainly doing this because I feel like it's just an unhealthy coping method for stress... right now I have been having a hard time after work without a cigarette because it was the only way I really knew how to decompress. I started lifting weights again and that helps.

Anyways, even with almost 5 years free from drugs & alcohol, I haven't quit smoking and so I am starting to feel what its like to be new all over again.

I just was reinstituted as a mod around here but the forum seems pretty stable with a few exceptions. Any new frequent faces?

2. Metal

Metal Active Member

New Moderator right here nukegoat.. a pleasure to be working with you! Good Luck with kicking the smoking, I still haven't kicked the smoking either because I'm somewhat early in recovery.. like they say, dont make any major changes during the first few years.. my #1 priority is to stay sober and get to meetings and help others when I can. We do have a pretty stable forum here, I feel like this is my home forum, not necessarily offtopic because I spend the majority of my time in here. It feels good to be able to give back now, being sober, and be a moderator for the forum that has helped me in the past! :) Congrats nukegoat on being reinstated as a Mod here and I'll pat myself on the back for being instated as a Mod for the first time -- something I thought I'd never be able to do when I was using.

EDIT- There was a recent thread that I'm trying to find a quote from a user saying the withdrawals usually peak at 48-72 hours and then drop down from there.. so It sounds like you are probably at the worst of the withdrawals right now.. I'm not sure how much longer they will go on, but it seems to me that you were a "light smoker" opposed to a heavy smoker or a chain smoker.. I smoke half a pack a day of Lights and consider that a little less than average.. So with only 6 or 7 a day (especially Lights), I'd expect the withdrawals not to be as bad as a person that smoked a pack or two a day. The only time I was able to quit was when I went into Detox in the hospital, I came out and had 150 days sober, then I picked up smoking cigarettes again... but at least it wasn't picking up drugs or alcohol.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2006
  3. nukegoat

nukegoat New Member

update: almost 2 months now...

neato

4. Jim Jones

Jim Jones leave a message

[​IMG]

Great job.

5. Xicculus

Xicculus OT Supporter

I came in here because this is the end of my 3rd day as well. I am craving it like a motherfucker. While I was driving today I stopped for gas and I literally dragged my sorry ass away from the C Store so that I wouldn't be confronted with all those packs.

I love smoking, I just hate the stink and the health issues. I've been smoking for about 9 years and in the last few years I've felt that it has completely taken over my life. I am no longer in control. Heck, just writing about it makes me want a puff.

But every time I break down and buy a pack, it feels good for a few seconds and then I realize it's back to day 1.

I need some help here.

6. Xicculus

Xicculus OT Supporter

is there a smoker's anonymous like AA?

7. buninader

buninader SMILE!!! I just got ******!!!

im on day 4 right now. god damn, this is an addiction. nicotine is the essence of addiction. i want to stay stopped, but my addiction is a cunning motherfucker. im reminded of smoking every time i breath, im still getting chills, and believe me, im crazy.

im hoping it gets better.

8. nukegoat

nukegoat New Member

As soon as you just prepare yourself for it to suck, it's not that bad. I can honestly say that I have a pretty wicked addictive personality and after a couple months its really not a big deal. To make it through those first few months, just tell yourself "well, this is going to suck. my life sucks, whatever" and roll with it. It's SUPPOSED to suck, that's why people don't like to quit

The less you think about it too, the better...

9. cazzone

cazzone OT Supporter

10. Xicculus

Xicculus OT Supporter

5, and it sucks hard, i want one bad.

11. ben.str

ben.str New Member

i have tryed to quit many times none of them worked for more than 2 weeks. i am on day 2 right now and i am using the gum it somewhat works. but i am going down to wi. for a week to visit the fam. and they dont know that i smoked. i am hopeing this will keep me from smokeing and will get all the nicotiene out of me. i will also have the gum on me at all times. think this will help me not smoke when i get back home? i leave towmarrow for wi. so i will have a week and two days total when i get back.

12. Swerve

Swerve OT Supporter

I stopped for 3 months and then started again 3 weeks ago and feel shit because of it.

Yesterday morning I had my last cigarette and have had none since there.

I'm heading to the gym 2morow.

I will stop doing this shit again!!!!

13. SoySauciAl

SoySauciAl Guest

Yea.. i need to stop too. I end up smoking too much and it makes me nasueus and moody all day and that affects my work. And im going back to school soon too. Being nasueus kills my consentration and cant listen in class. Im gonna start on new years but continue to smoke cloves and other non nicotine alternatives until i completely stop. That is my plan.