SRS Dating a Single Mom

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by purplebeast, Jan 5, 2007.

1. purplebeast

purplebeast The depths of hell and endless torture await all h

I dated a single mom before, but the kid was 6 and eventhough I wasnt fond of my Ex's mom being there all the time. I now understand how many times she bailed us out so we could have some time alone. This new girl does not have an kind of famly help and the baby is 5 months old. Advise, pros, cons, comments, its all apriciated.

2. Nightrox

Nightrox I'm a brownie

Peace out of the relationshp imo

3. teo

teo . => ? => !

The child is young enough that you can give the relationship a trial run and see how you like it. :dunno:

4. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

The kid's 5 months. When she puts it to bed, you can have some alone time, albeit with interruptions

5. bearsdidit

bearsdidit OT Supporter

lol this is ironic, i'm a single father now, i wonder how the dating scene will be.

6. Nightrox

Nightrox I'm a brownie

Will not be good

7. lick wid nit wit

lick wid nit wit Official OT Oracle

I would look into the laws of your state before dating her. If things get serious and you move in with her, you can get sued for child support for a kid that isn't yours in some states. Also, if you end up being her boyfriend for a few years and then break up, the kid will be old enough by that time to develop an emotional bond with you and it will be traumatic for the kid.

I would never date a single parent because of the kids. It's not fair to the kids when the parents parade new people in and out of their lives.

I know the kid is five months old now but what about when the kid is older?

8. big 1

big 1 New Member

wear condoms. ALWAYS. NO EXCUSES. serisously. you already know what her position is on abortion and birth control.

9. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

that would only happen if you're commonlaw, and commonlaw has been severely nerfed lately. You'd have to be pretty stupid, for a very long time to be considered commonlaw

10. blackgrrl23

blackgrrl23 If the game ain't money, then I ain't playing.

there are women with no children who wouldn't mind it as well as single moms out there for you :cool:

11. lick wid nit wit

Laws vary from state to state. In WA for example (this isn't a commonly known law or a commonly used one to my knowledge) a woman can sue a man for child support if her kid has bonded with him even if they haven't cohabitated. That ain't right. I do know that a state representative named Renee Radcliffe is working to have this repealed.

If I were a man I'd be scared shitless in the dating world right now. The child custody/support laws are very gender biased, not just in WA but a lot of the states (and Canadian provinces as well).

A man should NOT have to pay child support on a child that is not biologically his unless he has gone through all the steps to legally adopt said child.

12. bearsdidit

bearsdidit OT Supporter

:x:

13. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

no argument there

14. blackgrrl23

blackgrrl23 If the game ain't money, then I ain't playing.

:o

Take your time to look though...for now 'lil man needs to be #1 in your heart:bowdown:

15. purplebeast

Well thanks for the input. i dunno yet how I feel, but I'll see where things lead.d

16. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

I would love to see some court cases regarding this.

17. Helmet

Helmet New Member

well ive dated 2 single moms, one had a 1yo and the other had a 6yo and 5yo.
    to tell the truth it wasent bad at all. i would rarely see the kids though. only when i went to a family thing of theirs or we both go pick up the kids after school after doin it lol. i guess just dont get attached to the kids.

18. lick wid nit wit

I honestly don't know if there are any court cases regarding it. There must be, if Rene Radcliffe is trying to get that law overturned.

19. Spiritus

Spiritus Active Member

The important issue here is... is she done with the man who made her preggo?

If not, BAIL.

Now, if they get ahold of you they will hold on tight. Single parent, tough dating scene.

Make sure you maintain your ground. I am dating you, not your kid. You get child support, I will try to help but I am not his father. If I marry you, then that is when he will become my son.

I say date... she might be the secret love of your life.

I would not recommend sex for a long time, see how she reacts. Some people are addicted to the orgasm. Play it slow.

She might be really great but had a kid. The only thing from stopping you from finding out is hesitation.

Just do not get so involved you cant get out.

20. Spiritus

Spiritus Active Member

harder.

21. callmegarfield

callmegarfield New Member

I am friends with a single mother, and to be honest if things heated up between us i don't know how i'd react. About 80% of laws are ignored anyway in england, but IMO if she's really hot and you have a connection or something in common, or just really like each other, go for it. Don't let the fact she's a mother hold you back. Of course, if it turned out to be long term i'd be put off by having to support the child but hey, that's me.

22. purplebeast

Well its all null and void. She pretty much cut me off. Here i was thinking I ad doubts when apparently she had bigger ones. Such is life I suppose. Thanks for the advice

23. High Voltage

High Voltage Guest

i think this relationship is a bad idea

24. Jimeigh

Jimeigh Every rook and jay in the corvidae have been raven

danger danger! high voltage! when we touch! when we kiss!

:o

25. JemmaX

JemmaX New Member

sorry to hear that. dont just veto the idea of ever dating a single parent. It can be a good thing, usually single parents have better coping skills, can compromise, and dont freak out over the small stuff.

my biggest advice for you in the future or anyone else is make sure there isnt a lot drama between her and the baby's dad. that is something you need to stay far and away from.