Dating a coworker?

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by sapient, Jun 30, 2008.

1. sapient

sapient New Member

Anyone here date a coworker currently or in the past? I'm wondering just how bad it would be. I don't see myself getting too worked up over a break-up if that were to happen down the line, so I don't see that as a potential problem. What are the other difficulties and such that I wouldn't expect? We both are servers in a restaurant btw.

2. forgotmyname

forgotmyname Active Member

I got too much shit from beers when I made a similar thread.

Cliffs: Not worth it.

3. demosnat

demosnat New Member

with a job like that I don't see it being a problem. If thing ended so bad you couldn't be civil to each other there are 11ty other jobs within ten feet.
    I dated Derrick when we worked together, it was fun. This situation, you must tell me about.
    Skype me

4. CHOWBOX

CHOWBOX OT Supporter

wouldn't suggest it, but it's not like a job that's not replaceable if the shit hits the fan.

5. chica&buddies

chica&buddies Active Member

yes. aaaages ago. everyone knew our business. my boss [at the time] even talked to my then bf about me. wtf??? :squint: :ugh:

things between the two of us didn't work out, and we broke up. certainly there was a grieving period. to be honest, i wasn't exactly peachy about seeing him hang out with [and eventually date] another girl at work.

:dunno: know what you're getting into. if you're willing to deal with it, by all means, go for it. if it's just a job, and you can see a way out if things were to go haywire, :bigthumb:, knock yourself out. if it's a career, i say hell no :nono:. it's not worth messing that up.

i've been there, done that. :nono: i don't like the headache, not to mention random people i work with knowing my business or gossiping about me, so i choose to date people elsewhere than those i know at my job(s). ;)

shocking, i know, but i like to live my life as drama free as possible :o :mamoru:

6. Elphaba

Elphaba New Member

I met my current bf at work. That said, I wouldnt suggest it unless 1) at least one of you isnt really attached to the job and could be willing to change or 2) one of you doesnt see themselves staying at your current place of work for an extended amount of time.

7. Vysion

Vysion New Member

Working as a server in a restaurant you can always move on and get a job at any number of other restaurants if the relationship goes bad.

If you didn't work as a server in a restaurant however I would say dating a co-worker is a fucking bad idea.

8. Alexqzilla

Alexqzilla New Member

Thou shall not shit where you sleep

9. sapient

sapient New Member

Yea, that's what I was thinking. There's already two (used to be three until one got fired) couples that work at my restaurant - it's a fairly low-stress, incredibly friendly environment, so there's really no drama to get in the way of them, so I figure it might end up the same for me also. Literally, everyone I work with likes everyone else, and we all hang out after work at the same bars, go to each other's parties, ect. Really weird, I've never heard of any other workplace or even restaurant being as friendly as mine.

10. sapient

sapient New Member

Actually, I don't see myself being there for too much longer unless the money gets way better. We've been pretty slow lately.

11. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

My gf and I used to work for the same company (in different departments).

A few months after we started dating, she got a better job offer and left so we didn't work together any more.

And a few months after that I got laid off lol.

It was fine for us because we didn't see each other very much during the normal course of work (except for specially scheduled "breaks").

12. Vysion

Vysion New Member

A lot of restaurants are like this, especially ones filled with cool co-workers. Restaurant workers are a special type of people. Ever seen the movie "Waiting"? That's such a fucking funny movie.

13. Vysion

Vysion New Member

I find this to be acceptable.

As long as the 2 people in a relationship are in different departments and have different bosses. Never with same bosses in same department.

14. CaiWooBlue

CaiWooBlue New Member

I did it years ago and it caused issues, but it was because I was a manager. I was over a different department, so it WAS allowed, as I never had any contact with him while working and I was not his manager, but everyone still freaked out.

It didnt work out, not sure if this had anything to do with it or not.

15. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

Oh dating other servers...Just coming from someone who served for a few years, dating in the restaurant almost always is a nightmare.

I stayed far away from it even when there were guys I liked. Everyone always dates eachother and drama almost always inevitably ensues. If you are not looking for anything serious you need to make 100% sure she knows this, because if you just start fucking around and then you call it off she can make your life a living hell at work. Whether it's ignoring you or telling everyone what you did, having people pick sides :mb:

Or, if you start dating and get in a fight you carry that into the restaurant. On top of that, you'll end up seeing each other a lot. It's almost boring because you see each other so much at work you sometimes lose interest on planning something for that night like a normal couple would (who don't work together). Working as a server makes people pissed off enough, so be prepared that when she's having that bad day she's going to be whining about it to you during work when you are trying to focus.

16. vodkacollins

vodkacollins New Member

thats where my brother and his current gf met. they both still work there. not sure if its a bad or a good thing honestly. the group can be so gossipy that everyone knows their business, both good and bad

the good thing, if things didnt work out, one of you could leave to go find a new job pretty easily. just be willing to do this if it ends and you dont want to see her anymore. this is one of those jobs where its easy to do that at least. otherwise, i would say stay away

17. JustaMeThang

JustaMeThang New Member

Work is an 'escape' for alot of people. I wouldnt want to date someone I worked with for that reason and also bc if/when we broke up, it would be awkward.

18. giz

giz Active Member

Never dated a coworker, but I did have sex with one this past weekend and work today was only slightly awkward. I think it will get better.

In this case it was only a matter of time. Our cubes are next to each other and we've been flirting since I started there a month ago. Saturday was the first time I had hung out with her outside of work.

This was the first time I had done anything with a coworker and I'm not so sure it was the right thing, but we'll see how it pans out. :dunno:

19. giz

giz Active Member

I think it makes a huge difference if its more of an FB thing like what my situation seems to be, or a serious relationship.

I honestly don't see a relationship working to well in that environment.

20. danewreed

danewreed OT Supporter

21. eskarinna

eskarinna New Member

I married a coworker however we both are in IT and was a small eight people company. As soon things started heating up I found a new job so our relationship didnt affect our work. Our bestman was once my lead, and the two groomsman were my manager and the owner of the company. None of the others knew we were into each other, even though some of them suspected it.

IWYWb is right though being all day long together and then all evening can get old fast.

22. Ky1e

Ky1e New Member

:ugh: Your situation sounds exactly like mine, lol. Everyone at my restraunt hangs out with each other after work, and I think it's the weirdest thing. Everyone is always talking about drama and shit it's fucking weird. I've never been in a situation where everyone hungout with each other just because they work at the same place. I kinda got dragged in a little. I just started hanging out with this girl from my work a lot, and it's not too bad. I kinda like her, but we'll see what ends up happening. I don't tell anyone at work that we hangout though. I think if you just keep it a secret between you two, it's not too bad. Unless of course other people from work see you two hanging out, then just deal with it then; but I wouldn't go walking around saying that you are dating her or whatever.

23. Ky1e

Ky1e New Member

:rofl: The first time I hungout with this co-worker friend of mine I had the same situation come up, but I decided not to have sex with her because I thought things would be too weird at work.

24. althepirate

althepirate Talk nerdy to me.

Don't spend time with her at work.

My boyfriend and I had were at the same job briefly. Everybody made a big deal about it, but it was fine. It was a tech support call center. We sat on opposite ends of the floor.

You have to remember it's a relationship like every other. You need the time to spend together special, not routine.

25. jonno

jonno New Member

done it at my part-time job i dont really care about. not something i would do in a career position...

i still work with the girl every now and then. and when i do it's just us 2 working. it's not weird at all. but that's probably just because of our personalities. i'm sure this would be weird for the majority of people...