Dating a co-worker that doesn't work directly with you is kosher amirite?

Discussion in 'Vaginarium' started by Yardsale, Apr 30, 2007.

1. Yardsale

Yardsale OT Supporter

I hope so :x:

Also what happens if she gets moved into the dept that you're working in and you have to work with her all the time :noes:

anyone have any positive experiences?

2. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

Most people say this never works because...it usually never does. The second you guys have to start seeing each other all the time the more often the people in the relationship start to realize they never have alone time. You start to talk about work all the time because you both experience the same problems, co-workers, etc.

It's so much worse when you are fighting and/or you break up because everyone is going to find out and ask all kinds of questions, followed by numerous amounts of stress with having to be in the same vicinity as the other person. But more importantly you just start to become a little bit claustrophobic because you see them every day at work, then in your free time most nights :mb:

But uh.....good luck!

3. Yardsale

Yardsale OT Supporter

fuck we do talk about work all the goddamn time outside of work :o :wtc:

4. sochbat

sochbat New Member

wow.

I'm kinda in teh same predicament.

She's real cute, we have fun, all that good stuff.

She is transferring to another store though, so we wouldn't see each other every day.

I think i'm going to just chaulk it up to how things feel. Why not do it and see what happens?

5. HuskiRuski

HuskiRuski Cardinal Fan

just do it. every relationship, even if it doesn't work, is a good learning experience.

if you think that she's a fun girl that you could have a non-chaotic relationship with that isn't detrimental to your health, go for it. if it doesn't work, you'll learn something from it.

6. Yail Bloor

Yail Bloor OT Supporter

I think its sad that we don't know how to meet people, so we end up with someone who is close to us every day

What are the odds of the right girl for you being a co-worker?

7. guiltybystand3r

guiltybystand3r On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for e

I dated a girl for almost 2 years that worked at the same retail store that I did. We rarely worked on the same days/times and things were fine. I did transfer to another store about a year in though. Toward the end I realized that the only thing really ever talked about was work and we broke up. I dont regret the 2 years though and I'm glad didnt listen to everybody's "conventional wisdom"

When it comes down to it, if you really like one another then I say go for it. Just understand what it might entail down the line.

At the same time who's to say that the right person isnt the one you work with. You tend to get to know people that you work with rather than just meeting complete stranger. If there's attraction who's to doubt it just because its a coworker.

8. Yardsale

Yardsale OT Supporter

We just made a pact to talk about work less. It's weird going to dinner and talking about things other than movies but I like it :eek5:

9. Midgetized

Midgetized Don't mess with Douche Cat

It's not sad, it's normal. When you spend that much time with someone then it's easy for feelings to develop. Plus if you work together then you already have something major in common.

10. Yail Bloor

Yail Bloor OT Supporter

From a man's perspective, its a shortcut to actually learning how to meet and date women outside the workplace.

A close friend that I counsel on dating and relationships is going through a situation right now where he no longer should be around a co-worker that he was dating recently.

I've advised him to change jobs but he says that's not feasible for him right now. So he gets to go to work every day and experience pain from seeing her.

I'd say don't date a co-worker unless its not a big deal for you to change jobs.

11. iwishyouwerebeer

iwishyouwerebeer you shut your cunt Moderator

Not every guy is retarded though when it comes to general social skills and meeting women. It'd be one thing if a person chronically dated the people he worked with and never met anyone else outside of that space. Either way, I still don't condone dating people you work with.

12. Yail Bloor

Yail Bloor OT Supporter

You're right.

But many are.

13. Midgetized

Midgetized Don't mess with Douche Cat

That's true if they seek out coworkers to date. You can't choose who you are attracted to though so sometimes things just happen when you spend a lot of time with someone.

:werd: Or if you work for the same company but don't see each other much at work then it may not be too bad.

14. notsousual

notsousual New Member

Well I don't have a positive experience, I dated a coworker and it didn't work out. Then it was pure hell when we broke up, having to see them all the time, made it pretty hard for that wound to heal until I eventually left because of him. I agree with the statement that you feel like you have no personal time. I saw him at work, we spent most nights together, hung out alot...it became very stressful.

But that said, even though I vowed not to do it again, I think that as long as you are ok with having to leave your job if things go bad (because that's likely what will happen if it does and you work together, especially closely...someone will have to leave) then it really wouldn't be a huge problem.

But, go for it if you want to. I mean, I wouldn't have known all these things had I not tried it.

15. orie

orie social assassin

yeah.

she's my fiance now :o