database n00b assitance needed *reward*

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by IDx, Nov 2, 2005.

1. IDx

IDx Elite User

Hello, i am pretty new to databases.. actually very new.. i see a growing trend in the need for small databases to keep track of all sorts of various information and then run reports instead of using a rediculous ammount of spreadsheets..

What path should i choose inorder to begin my journey into the world of databases? sql/mysql/php? access? Where should i start? i pick things up pretty quickly.. i just need to be pointed in the right direction.

any help would be greatly appreciated. :hsd:

ps: reward is some peice of data of your choice from the internet.

2. ski

ski New Member

Access is very easy to learn and understand the basics. I would start there for an overview of database creation and management.

Also, design some sample databases on paper, plot out the values you want, and then practice creating it and adding in information. Once you have a table working, try writing a few simple queries to sort the information.

Once you have a thorough understanding of access, you can choose if you want to do some coding with oracle or move into sql.

3. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

I would disagree with starting with Access. Access really over-simplifies how a database works. I think the best thing to do is learn a bit of theory first - just the basics of the entity-relationship model (how to represent data and how data can be related to other data). This isn't really hard theory to learn and understand, but it really really helps with understanding how to design a database that will be easy to work with and maintain. Then learn how to translate that into tables in a real database. Once you figure out how the tables should work, you'll have no problem applying it to any database you want to work with (Access, MySQL, Oracle, whatever).

This is slightly hypocritical since I started by playing around with Access. However, I never actually understood anything about databases or even remotely knew how to design one properly until I learned a bit about the ER model and translating it into tables.

4. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Hmmm - I dunno, Access removes a lot of "database admin" duties, which aren't really that important when you're trying to learn queries, keying, normalization etc... But don't make the mistake I did and dive into Access so much that you end up with 10 Gigs of databases and having to upgrade to a gigabit network to keep up with its horrible bandwidth problems.

5. ski

ski New Member

:rofl:

6. ski

ski New Member

This man is a wealth of information :bowdown:

7. ski

ski New Member

Some people like it, some people dont :dunno:

I paired it along some theory when I used it as my foundation.

8. Swerve

Swerve OT Supporter

Access=Microsoft=Perfection

9. Penguin Man

:bowrofl: :bowrofl: :bowrofl: :bowrofl: :bowrofl: :bowrofl: :bowrofl: :bowrofl: :bowrofl: :bowrofl: :bowrofl: :bowrofl: :bowrofl: :bowrofl: :bowrofl: :bowrofl: :bowrofl: :bowrofl: :bowrofl: :bowrofl: :bowrofl: :bowrofl: :bowrofl: :bowrofl:

That is the funniest fucking thing I have read in months.

10. Penguin Man

:wiggle:

11. ski

ski New Member

So, how does Gates' taste?