Database driven photo organizer...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by GunboatDiplomat, Feb 16, 2007.

1. GunboatDiplomat

GunboatDiplomat New Member

I have a lot of... images... and I'd like to organize them. I have them fairly well organized into "sets;" each leaf-node directory containing a set of images. The problem with this approach is that it's surprisingly anonymous. I can't tell what photos are in what directory until I actually go into that directory and look at a photo. If you have a lot of sets of photos, this is tedious.

I'm looking for an image organization program (like a photo album program). There are two key features that I would like it to have.

First, I would like it to keep a light weight database so I may assign arbitrary properties to the sets of images. That way, I may find all image sets that satisfy a certain criteria. For instance, I may have two image sets, among others. One image set is of... a car in a forrest, taken from several different angles. The other is of the exterior of a cottage in a forrest. The former has two attributes, trees and car. The latter also has two attributes, trees and building. So, I can search my database for all image sets that contain trees and get the two sets just listed. If I search for a car, I get the one(s) with a car...

Secondly, I would like to be able to assign an avatar to each image set. That is, I would like to assign a single image of the set as a thumbnail representation of the entire set. This will allow me to browse through a large number of sets to pick out which image set I will want to use. For instance, using the first criteria as an example, I could search the database for sets with trees and it returns a number of avatars. I can look at the list of avatars and pick one I want, like the one with the car...

These may sound like weird ideas but I don't think it takes too much imagination to see how these features are useful. Now, is there an application out there that does this? Or even remotely does this? Or can be modified to do this?
    Thank you...

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Doesn't Google Picasa do that?

3. GunboatDiplomat

GunboatDiplomat New Member

Correct me if I'm wrong but it doesn't look like Picasa has a database system nor thumbnail representatives. It looks like it organizes images into folders and shows thumbnails for all images, not just a representative for the set (or album, in Pacasa terminology).

Now, I haven't actually used Picasa, I'm only judging from the feature list so if anything I've claimed is inaccruate, please correct me!
    Thank you...