Data recovery?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Gob, Apr 19, 2007.

1. Gob

Gob Illusion, Michael. A trick is something a whore do OT Supporter

I have no specific problems to deal with, just curious. What do you keep in your bag of tricks to deal with lost/damaged/corrupt data. Any form of damage/problem , old CD, bad hard drive, anything. About the only thing I've ever used is CD-Check on an old CD. Recovered all but one digital picture so I was happy, but I know there is other stuff out there (Mainly I'm asking about Windows applications) that probably works better. So what do you guys use?

2. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

i've had decent results on an overwritten hard drive with getdataback for ntfs. although getdataback for fat barely did shit for recovering pix off of a flash card

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

most data recovery tools success is going to be dependant on the fragmentation level of the volume. The lower the fragmentation, the better chance of getting the data back.

4. neonwheels

neonwheels New Member

Knoppix is probably my favorite, I do have Encase available through work that I can try if all hope is lost, I also have a USB housing for hard drives with even a laptop hard drive attachment, and so on...

5. Gob

Knoppix? Forgive me, but isn't that a Linux distribution? How does that help with data recovery?

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

knoppix is a "livecd" linux distro. It has good out-of-box support for the various FAT and NTFS types (including decent write-support). It also has a good success rate reading damaged file systems that cannot boot. It's a good medium for copying data off the main drive to an external, thus facilitating a re-format if the drive is good, or replacement of the drive if it is bad -- while at least recovering some/most of the important data.

7. Gob

Ahh, thanks, a LiveCD makes sense. Had it in my head that I'd have to install Knoppix to the drive (Which of course defeats the whole purpose). I'll have to download it and play around with it a bit, sounds pretty handy to have.