Data recovery

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by fire, Oct 24, 2005.

1. fire

fire New Member

I'll spare you the detials of my past 3 days.

Either way, I ended up not being able to backup anything and my CPU started screwing up(I think that's the technical term :) ).

Anyway, I reinstalled XP and as I figured, I lost my pictures and my music. I have been reading about data recovery and found www.recovermyfiles.com

Anyone used this with success? Is there a better way? I'm not concerned with my programs, just my pictures.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2005
  2. DaveyD

DaveyD Fuck Ohio State, son

Bump this for the same type of question. I had a hard drive crash at the office. Tech tested it, and said it is done. I have heard from people that it might be possible to put the Hard drive in the freezer, and than be able to pull the data off quickly, before the drive dies its last death. Search google, with freezer and hard drive. Some info would be liked. Thanks. :)

3. 6Double5321

6Double5321 Into the blue again, after the money's gone

www.drivesavers.com

Pricey, but according to their testimonials they're pretty damn good. I have a dead drive myself I'd like to send them.

4. fire

fire New Member

Well, I'm trying the recovermyfile. It lets you d/l the program and run it forst to see if it can recover anything. Then, you buy the key if you like it. So far, it has found abount 90% of my pics and 75% of my music. All of it looks to be restorable at this point. I'll let you know.

It's been running for like 5 hours and is about 35% way through. It's scanning something like 152 million files. Then it analyzes them to see if they are salvagable. Hopefully it finds most of them.

5. fire

fire New Member

I ended up getting back at least 90% of my files(.jpeg, .mp3, word docs) in all. I am extremely pleased. It is just so damn time consuming. It took 35 hours for my 80 gig drive. The another 5-6 to go through the files. It gives you a preview of the file and you check or uncheck it if you want to keep it.

Highly recommended.

6. ohio_wookie

ohio_wookie New Member

its alot of 1s and 0s to look at :) im glad you had luck with recovering your files, i was useing partition magic to move the partitions around on my hd and pmagic freaked out half way through. i lost around 70gigs of video editing stuff/music/and all kinds of other work. i never got it all back i had about 10 gigs of it backedup, but i lost the rest. good to see that you got your stuff back:bigthumb: