Data organization software (suggestions?)

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Dylith, Dec 8, 2008.

1. Dylith

Dylith OT Supporter

I need something that would allow one to transfer and cosolidate information from multiple computers quickly and easily. (long lists of information much of which may be duplicated and I need a program that will consolidate all of the most updated versions into one location).

The suggested program for this is ViceVersa (http://www.tgrmn.com/) One of the problems with this is that it doesn't seem capable of handling larger powerpoint files (it starts to struggle when the powerpoints hit about 5MB in size and then freezes up after that).

I am not very well versed in newer software and was wondering if any of you had any suggestions or recommendations for this area. Money isn't too much of an issue, but I would prefer something around $100 or less.

The only other requirement is that it has to be compatible with Windows XP and preferably a MAC (though Windows XP only would be fine too).

Thanks for your help.

2. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

It's called a server.

3. retorq

retorq What up bitch??

4. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

5. Dylith

Dylith OT Supporter

It's actually for someone who already has access to a server/network and who has their own personal drive on the network for file storage. She has multiple computers both at the office and at home and she seems intent on not uploading her data to her personal drive on the university's (where she teaches) network, but wants to consolidate it using something different (easy to use easy to view that automatically organizes everything for her).

Perhaps I am missunderstanding her needs here, I'll have to ask her about it again tomorrow and post an update.

6. Dylith

Dylith OT Supporter

Thanks for the link, I'll give it a look.

7. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

If she's at all paranoid, use a USB stick.

8. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Or encrypt the files and filenames in Jungledisk, and then again in S3 (they automatically do). And everything runs over https. Triple crypto paranoia ftw.