Dashboard gurus - persistent widget?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Euclid, Jul 10, 2006.

1. Euclid

Euclid New Member

I have a Konfabulator widget called Buddy Stalker which will monitor the status of your instant message buddies and display the results on a timeline -- it's pretty neat. There are a couple of things that I would like to change about it, though: (1) it polls iChat for status information and I would prefer for it to ask Adium, and (2) I'd rather not run Konfabulator.

To address the second issue I thought I would try porting this widget over to Dashboard. However since it is the nature of the program to constantly poll iChat, I am not sure that this will work because Dashboard seems to halt the operation of the widgets when they aren't on screen. Can someone confirm/deny this?

cliffs: Is it possible to have a Dashboard widget continuously processing in the background?

2. Euclid

Euclid New Member

:wavey: Anyone?

3. Seandq

Seandq Usertext for Rent

May or may not help but when I am listening to internet radio from Dashboard, if I close Dashboard, it still plays.

4. skelm

skelm New Member

if dashboard halted applications when it closed then the iTunes widget just couldn't be possible!

5. Skoles

Skoles Guest

Open the Terminal and type defaults write com.apple.dashboard devmode YES and press Return. Then logout and log back in again. Now debugging mode is activated. To get a widget off of the Dashboard and onto your desktop, just do the following:
    1. Activate Dashboard by pressing F12 (or whatever key you've assigned to Dashboard).
    2. Begin dragging the widget.
    3. Press F12 again, before letting up on the mouse button.
    4. Drop the widget wherever you want it.

6. Euclid

Euclid New Member

Yeah I think these application widgets just issue commands to iTunes, though. Go to Activity Monitor and force quit the Dashboard and see if that stops the music from playing, I don't think it will (although the widget will be dead).

7. Euclid

Euclid New Member

This is interesting!

8. Skoles

Skoles Guest

Interesting? It works, I use it.

9. Euclid

Euclid New Member

Yeah, it seems like a way to keep the widget running 24x7, although I do like having the output tucked away on the dashboard screen. :hs: