GUN DA's office likely not to seek charges against home owner

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by TL1000RSquid, Dec 11, 2007.

1. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

DA's office likely not to seek charges against home owner
    http://www.dothaneagle.com/gulfcoas...px.-content-articles-DEA-2007-12-11-0011.html
    Tuesday, Dec 11, 2007 - 06:05 AM Updated: 10:39 AM

By Matt Elofson

Authorities will likely not seek charges against Peter Webb, who shot and killed a burglar Saturday night at his Dothan home, according to Houston County District Attorney Doug Valeska.

Valeska said preliminary reports from Houston County Sheriff Andy Hughes and his investigators have shown him no need to seek charges in the shooting death of 20-year-old Colie Laquad Dunlap.

“I see no prosecution of the homeowner,” Valeska said. “People don’t need to go out and burglarize homes in Houston County. We won’t have any deaths and victims won’t be traumatized that way.”

Valeska said he has prosecuted multiple capital murder cases that involved burglaries, including David Wilson who was recently convicted of killing 64-year-old Dewey Walker during a burglary at his Dothan home. He said the death likely could have been prevented had there not been a burglary.

Sheriff’s investigators have said Dunlap and his older brother, Christopher Lee Dunlap, 24, forced their way into Webb’s home and stole cash from him. Christopher Dunlap is held in the Houston County Jail on a $200,000 bond after he was charged with first-degree burglary.

Webb was defending his home when he chose to shoot Dunlap, Valeska said. Valeska urged residents to call law enforcement if they see any suspicious activity in their neighborhoods.

“This time of year at Christmas time if someone is going to break-in and steal someone’s hard-earned dollars and steal their Christmas presents they need to realize the price they can pay. They could forfeit their life too,” Valeska said. “Based on what the sheriff and the investigators have told me it’s my opinion he had a right to use deadly physical force.”

Alabama Attorney General Troy King said a relatively new state law allows for residents in their homes to protect themselves with reasonable force. King said the “Castle Law” has legally allowed residents to stand up for themselves.

“A man’s home is his castle,” King said. “No Alabamian should be expected to turn around and run away from a person who is threatening them or their family.”

The law, passed in June 2006, has made Alabama safer, allowing them to use deadly force to protect themselves, he said.

“One of the problems we have in this country is that we coddle criminals. All the concern is about criminals,” King said. “I grew up in the Wiregrass and I know a little about common sense. Common sense says I should have at least the same right to protect my family that a criminal has to threaten them.”

:bowdown::bowdown:

2. VladTemplar

VladTemplar New Member

Holy fucking common sense, Batman!

3. Gimik

Gimik New Member

too good to be true

4. MTech

MTech New Member

somebody elect this guy

5. IHAVECRABS

IHAVECRABS Diversity is our strength. LOLOL

alabama FTW

6. Trlstyle

Trlstyle New Member

A++++ would read again

and again and again

7. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

Valeska for president!!

8. smartypants

smartypants New Member

I called it.
    Somebody owes me a beer.

9. Joe Somebody

Joe Somebody OT Supporter

Castle Doctrine>*

10. Dumbstixlars

Dumbstixlars Ron Paul/AR-15/Glock/old car/Scooby/R/C croo OT Supporter

11. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

wow, I am actually stunned by common sense.