Darn Apple discounts

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by TheWeasel, Mar 19, 2008.

1. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

Make sure you read the terms and conditions when using an Apple discount. Some require that you keep the machine for a specified time and cannot sell it before then. I have to wait til the end of the month to sell my MBP because I got it with an Apple employee discount and have to keep it for 2 years (and they will check that when transferring stuff like AppleCare). Corporate discount, student discount, and developer discount all require you keep the machine for 1 year. People have gotten flagged for selling their systems early and they are not eligible for the discount again due to the violation of the terms.

2. mad_vtak

mad_vtak Active Member

never knew that. Thanks :)

3. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

I'm patiently waiting for March 31st to sell my MPB. Want a new one.

4. fatass

fatass New Member

how would they know? if the new owner tried to get warranty work done on it?

5. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

To transfer AppleCare you have to send them a copy of your receipt from the purchase of it which they then reference. I've also heard they have looked into it when a new person registers the machine (registration when you first install OS X although it can be bypassed).

6. Pitt

Pitt 1-1-11 — Never Forget OT Supporter

I asked about applecare transfer when I bought my MBP and they said you can't do that.

I :hsugh:ed.

7. TheWeasel

TheWeasel Guest

It's right in the terms and conditions. You just have to fax, email, or mail Apple a copy of your AppleCare purchase receipt, AppleCare policy number, and the name, address, phone number, and email of the person you are transferring it to.

http://www.apple.com/legal/applecare/appgeos.html

8. _Trev_

_Trev_ Ya gotta pay the troll toll... OT Supporter

This would only matter if you try to transfer applecare right? Because that doesn't matter since my warranty is voided anyways

9. Pitt

Pitt 1-1-11 — Never Forget OT Supporter

Thanks for the links, :h5:

I'm bringing my powerbook to the apple store tomorrow so it can get repaired, then I'll bring that up.